Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Saturday, March 13, 2010

What My Children Are Reading



Last week when we went to the library, I decided to go to the fairy tale area.  M, is starting to become familiar with the Disney version of Cinderella through our Little Golden Book, seeing the movie at a friend's house, and our Cinderella dress-up doll.  I want her to know other versions, too, so we explored what we could in our small library branch.

Cendrillion- by Robert D. San Souci is a Caribbean Cinderella tale.  We've read this several times now.  I appreciate that when the prince returns with her embroidered slipper, looking for her, Cendrillion wants the prince to like her for her, not because of any magic.

Rolling Along with Goldilocks and the Three Bears- written by physical therapist assistant Cindy Meyers was read every morning before school this week.  M, E, and I all enjoyed it a lot.  The twist on the traditional tale is that Baby Bear uses a wheel chair and goes to physical therapy.  I would highly recommend it for any young child who needs a wheel chair or just to show how we are all different.  It is a really cute book, but my favorite part is that Goldilocks and Baby Bear become good friends.  It also explains that Goldilocks was lost, tired, and hungry and that is why she went into the Bears' home.

Jazzy in the Jungle- Lucy Cousins is the author of the Maisy books...M's favorite!  This last time we were at the library, M found the Maisy books (by reading the spine) and told me they were Maisy.  I was impressed!  She picked out this book.  Though not part of the Maisy series, it is still delightfully Cousins.  It has die-cut pages and lift-the-flaps.  Mama JoJo, a lemur, is playing hide and seek with her baby.  It's quite cute, and held both M and E's attention.

Blue's Perfect Present- This book is new to our personal library, and quickly a favorite.  M loves Blue, so it is no surprise.  Blue seeks to give Magenta a perfect (and thoughtful) birthday gift.  It's a sweet book!

I'm linking this post at my friend's blog, Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.  (Her little Anna is M's age and a really smart cookie!  I love seeing what she is up to...and how her mom works to keep her challenged.)

5 comments:

Miller Moments said...

Thanks for sharing. It's always fun to hear about new books.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Cendrillion sounds like an interesting version of Cinderella, we'll have to check it out!

Cindy said...

The Goldilocks books sounds neat. We will have to check it out.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yay - it's great that you decided to share your picks! Cendrillion and a Rolling Along books sound very interesting - I'll see if our library has them. Anna is on a big Maisy tour right now (for independent reading). She picked about 5 today at the library, and also some of Blue Clues which she also quite likes.

Great Books for Children said...

I'm going to check these out. Huge fairy tale fan!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10