Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • November 2014 Reading - Some months are better than others. It's just the way it goes. I anticipated reading lots and relaxing this month with lots of books, but it didn't happen....

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spiedie Recipe

First, I know that unless you are part of my family, you are likely saying, "Huh? What are spiedies?" (SPEE-dee)?  They are a marinated meat, typically chicken, traditionally lamb, that are grilled on a skewer.  These delicious and tender bits of cubed meat are often served on Italian bread or even hot dog rolls.  They are a regional food to the Binghamton, New York area, close to where we grew up (though we both grew up in Pennsylvania).  You can read a bit more about the history here if you like, but that is the run-down.  (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Original State Fair Spiedie SauceI recently went to visit our families, and after eating some pizza with chicken spiedies as a topping, I decided it was time to make my own spiedies.  From scratch.  Chicken spiedies from a recipe.  Not from the spiedie sauce that you can buy.  (It is shockingly even at my local Acme, though I can't imagine anyone here in southeastern PA knowing what a spiedie is!)
These spiedies are plenty to make one sandwich.

Well, I did it!  And they were GOOD!  My husband let me know it, too!  We had my mom and stepdad visiting for the weekend, and they enjoyed them, too.  (I think my mom was shocked that I wanted to try a new recipe.  She has a crockpot recipe that she uses for spiedies, though Derek and I like traditional spiedies best.  But if anyone is interested...I can share hers.  She even won an award for her recipe!)

As usual, I got the recipe from allrecipes.com.  (Click title below to go directly to that recipe.)  You might tire of hearing that from me, but I think it's important to tell you where I get my recipes, unless of course, I come up with it.

  (Shockingly, I remembered to take a picture.)

  • 5 pounds chicken, cubed
  • 2 cups olive oil
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 3 tablespoons crushed dried mint
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

1. Place chicken in a large, sealable bag or large bowl with lid.  Mix additional ingredients in another bowl and then pour over chicken.  Stir thoroughly.  (Or shake bag.)  Marinate for 1-3 days, stirring every 6-8 hours.  

2. Place chicken on skewers.  Do not place them too close together.  

3.  Grill should be lightly oiled/sprayed and preheated grill to medium-high heat.  Place chicken spiedies on the grill, turning every 3 or so minutes.  They do not take long to cook.  Cook until 170 degrees, but do not overcook or they will be tough.

4. Serve on Italian bread or hot dog rolls.


Obviously, five pounds is a lot of meat, this recipe halved easily for me, and made plenty, with leftovers for four adults.  My only variation to the recipe is that I used my neighbor's fresh mint since I didn't have any dried mint and my pepper was not freshly ground.

This a recipe I hope you will try!!  

3 comments:

wholesomewomanhood said...

I made spiedies for my family a couple of months ago and I thought they were so good! Easy, simple and delicious. :-)

Anonymous said...

Would you mind sharing that Spiedie Crock Pot recipe you referenced? I know they are best grilled, but looking for a way to cook them in the house in the winter without and was thinking of the crock pot?

Annette W. said...

Anonymous, can you leave your email address in a comment so I can contact you?

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • November 2014 Reading - Some months are better than others. It's just the way it goes. I anticipated reading lots and relaxing this month with lots of books, but it didn't happen....

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10