Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Friday, September 10, 2010

Smooth Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

One of the few meals that my daughter will eat without complaint and with a big smile is spaghetti and meatballs.  For years I just bought jars of spaghetti sauce because I thought homemade sauce would mean chunks of tomato.  Then my friend Jeanine made a meal for our family when E was discharged from the hospital after his seizure.  The sauce was homemade...and without large tomato chunks!  I asked for the recipe and have been making it ever since.  Next, maybe I will try to make sauce from fresh tomatoes!


















Smooth Spaghetti Sauce (easily doubled)
1-28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and 1/2 can of water (I use Contadina because I know it's smooth.)
1- 6 oz can of tomato paste and 1 can of water
Parsley - 1/2 T. (or more to your liking)
Basil- 1 1/2 T. (or more to your liking)
Oregeno- 1 T. (or more to your liking)
Red pepper flakes- dash (I omit this for our preference.)
~~~~~~~~~
1 onion (either finely chopped or quartered, depending on how big you like the pieces)
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 pound mushrooms-chopped (I omit this for our preference.)

~In large pot, combine first six ingredients.  Simmer over medium heat.
~ Saute chopped onion in olive oil until they are transparent.  Then add to sauce.  If using quartered onions, there is no need to saute onion.
~ Saute garlic for about 1 minute.  Add to sauce.
Saute mushrooms for about 3 mintues.  Add to sauce.

Once sauce boils, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for two hours.  Stir and taste occasionally, adding herbs if desired.

For Meat Sauce:
1 pound ground meat
1 egg
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

Combine meat sauce ingredients.  Saute until meat is browned.  Then add to sauce.

This is really very easy to make!  I make a double batch and freeze divided portions in zipper freezer bags.  It would probably be better to can it, but freezing it is simpler for me.  If you choose to freeze it, remember to freeze your bags flat and then you stack them or stand them up as you wish.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

"FAITH" said...

This sounds good. I think I may try this. We still have a few tomatoes coming on in the garden I could try it with. It would be great to make a big batch and freeze ,as much as we eat spaghetti.

Carrie said...

Well, it sure looks delicious!

Julia said...

My husband would love this. He hates chunky vegies in his spaghetti!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10