Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, September 20, 2010

Sticker Math

When M had finally had a slight interest in numbers, I encouraged her with stickers.

I made a simple chart with the numbers 1-6. In each block I had the number of dots to correspond with the number.







M used some colored circles to cover the dots. She removed the stickers herself which is great for those little finger muscles!
Unfortunately she wasn't too interested in counting the stickers or identifying the numbers, but it was a start.

She was about 2 1/2 when I did this project with her.  She now can count to 13 without any problems, and 20 if we help her to go slowly.  I'm thinking we might use these stickers again for some new math.


How would you use them with a 3, almost 4 year old for math or something else?  She especially needs help with numbers over ten.

(I used the stickers when we moved to color code the boxes to correspond with specific rooms. It seemed to work well...just in case you plan to move soon.)

2 comments:

Ticia said...

Great idea putting the dots, I should have done that when we did this.

Calendar time was the best way for us to do it.

Lynn said...

She's so cute! We used those recently to make a Very Hungry Caterpillar craft. Just for fun, though - no counting. Honestly, we do a lot of fun crafts and activity sheets because we both enjoy them, but in terms of really learning something, my son always picks up on things from reading books together and from me just sitting down with a pad and paper and teaching it to him. (Not that you haven't tried that I'm sure! Just saying that I think it is funny that for me I spend so much time preparing activities, and I'm not sure it is how he learns best). Here is a link to our favorite counting books - http://infantbibliophile.blogspot.com/search/label/books%20about%20counting.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10