Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Vintage Books and an Intervention

Last weekend three friends (yes, I can say that now!) and I planned a girls' day out.  These are friends that I met through Community Bible Study.  Sometimes there are more of us that get together, but this day it was just four of us.  We're all so different, but we sure have fun together.

Our day out started at the Goodwill.  I immediately went to the books.  I found some awesome books, including like new, vintage paper doll books!  I know my daughter can't use them for a few years, but couldn't resist them!  I also picked up several Little Golden Books, Clifford, and two Richard Scarry books.

My big excitement for the children (since we can't use the paper dolls yet) are some nonfiction books.  Our nonfiction stack in our home is tiny, but we added several (four, I think) animal books and a Sesame Street book about the seasons.  For $0.25 and $0.50 a book, I love it!

Do you see the Wilton Beginner's Guide to Cake Decorating?  Yep, I already used it...will share soon!

While I was looking at books, my friends were searching out clothes-for me.  They knew I wanted help shopping, but not willing to spend much.  They picked out several shirts and pants for me.  Some just made me laugh.  Others turned out great!  I tried them all on, and walked away with some fresh clothes, including two new (tags on) pieces!  They didn't call it an intervention to me, but I think that is pretty much what it is.  I tend to be a very casual dresser...and content in my sweatshirts and t-shirts.  Later, when we were in a shoe store I absolutely refused the zebra print shoes that they desperately wanted me to buy, but I did buy a cute little pair of bronzey-colored shoes that they approved of.  Apparently, when it comes to dress shoes, I'm even worse picking them than clothes.   Just give me my Crocs (winter or summer style!) and I'm content...just not always appropriately dressed.

Right now I am drowning in books.  Having purchased a bunch on our Vermont trip, the ones above and the ones to be posted about soon (not reviews either!), we are on book overload...even without counting the books from the library!

5 comments:

Goat Gal said...

How fun! I want to go on a girls day out thrift shopping trip!

Christy Killoran said...

Wow, those paper doll books are a great find!

I am a terrible shopper when it comes to buying clothes for myself - I could use an intervention!

I wish I could come on your girls day out!

Lisa said...

I love the book section at Goodwill. It's the first place I check when I go.
LOL on the clothes intervention. I used to be something of a snazzy dresser, but now that I have the kids, not so much. I'm always afraid I'm going to run into someone I used to know, and they're going to be like "What happened to her?"

Carrie said...

Sigh. I absolutely LOVE Goodwill!!

Miller Moments said...

What a fun day!! I love book shopping at Goodwill.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10