Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Prints

Ten Red Apples (Bartholomew & George)Don't you just love it when your library displays a fabulous book or two for you to enjoy?  Well, that is how we found Ten Red Apples by Virginia Miller.  (It's a Bartholomew and George book, if that means anything to you.)  I plan to check out her other books because I enjoyed this one so much!

I think what sets this book apart from some others is that though it's a counting book, the story stands on its own.  Each set of pages has a sidebar where the counting of the red apples happens, though it's natural to do it with the main picture, too.  Another fabulous feature is that the number zero is featured.  Not all counting books do that.

This book just needed a craft to go with it, so we made some apple prints.  As basic as they are, using red and green paint to make ten apples altogether takes it a step further.

Materials:
apple, cut in half
paint,
lids (to hold paint)
large paper

I add a bit of yellow to both my red and green paint to make it seem more realistic.












In the book, the green apples on the tree turn red, but there are always ten apples altogether (until they are made into a pie).

With that in mind, M got to print some red apples, and then green apples.  I let her decide how many of each color she wanted.  As it turns out it was five and five, as she is showing you.  The eleventh mark on the paper is her handprint.






I don't remember apple prints being so hard to do, but she struggled to get the  apples off the paint lid and the paper.  It was too slippery!




I'm linking up to ABC & 123's show and tell as well as stART at A Mommy's Adventures.    Both offer great preschool and toddler ideas!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Fun!

Unfortunately (AND fortunately) our library is used excessively by A LOT Of local moms and so I never manage to grab hold of any seasonal titles. Hence I've really been trying to add to our own seasonal book collection so that we have something to read during appropriate seasons! I'll keep an eye out for this title. I found two apple books last week at our local used book store. Even the bookstore said that they couldn't put seasonal titles out because the moms come in and buy them and they don't have enough to make a display!

Amazon to the rescue. =)

Dorie said...

Love this activity, and will definitely check out the book. You are right most counting books don't include zero.
I awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award today.
Come check it out.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love reading the blog posts about all these apple books. This one would be perfect for my toddler son. He's just starting to recognize and count numbers.

Sippy Cup Central said...

looks like fun! karen
sippy cup central mom

RedTedArt said...

She did fabulously! Know what you mean about how the apples "Get stuck". Tricky for small hands!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty
Red Ted Art

RedTedArt said...

PS Thank you so much for linking up to Kids Get Crafty! Much appreciated!!

Maggy

Unknown said...

It sounds like they created some kind of suction to the lid. The project came out so well.

Please stop by and link this activity to Read.Explore.Learn on my blog.

amandab said...

We like to use all different materials n our painting but we are yet to use fruits, so thank you for the reminder :)

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10