Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Friday, July 30, 2010

Audio Books

I love to read.  It is just part of who I am.  Before children, if I had hours to relax, I usually did it with a book.

Since 2006, when my daughter was born, so has my reading.  Since then I have found great joy in audio books so that I can multi-task!  We have an under-the-cabinet CD player that really makes washing dishes, chopping veggies, or kitchen clean up so much more pleasant.  I borrow audio books from my public library every month. Some books, like the The Mysterious Benedict Society I don't want to miss a word and don't leave the room or talk to another person without pausing it.  Most books I miss a word or two here and there, and that is okay.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Radio Theatre)
I also enjoy listening to audio books in the car.  Though I don't work, if I drive somewhere, it is typically a 20-35 minute drive.  On our recent trip to family camp, I decided to enjoy some Narnia!  Typically Derek doesn't prefer audio books, but he likes Narnia, so he was happy to listen.  In preparation for release of the movie The Voyage of the Dawn Treader later this year, we listened to Focus on the Family's  The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in radio theater.

I really enjoyed this dramatization.  Derek also liked it-much better than a regular audio book, which reads just like the book.  This radio theater version had a large cast of voices and sound effects which helped even our three year old understand what was happening though the story is actually quite a bit "beyond" her.  She would often ask us why something was happening.  (She didn't like the sword fight!  Oops!)  

The Chronicles of Narnia: Never Has the Magic Been So Real (Radio Theatre) [Full Cast Drama]It has actually been years since I read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I had forgotten most of it.  One of the reviews at Amazon said that the closeness to the book was astounding.  

Amazon actually has The Chronicles of Narnia set (radio theater) for two prices $19.78 or $99.99, and I can't figure out the difference.  Boy, I am tempted to get the set for myself! The unabridged set is less than $50.  However, I imagine all public libraries would have a set, though you may not have the option of unabridged or  radio theater.

Whether you watch (and there are several different versions of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe), listen, or read Narnia, it is bound to be a fun experience for you!  If you are interested in reading what some others think of it, you can head over to Reading to Know.  Carrie had a Narnia challenge this month!  

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you participated with this title.

Here's a tip - check out your local Borders (if you have one) because they were selling the complete FoF radio drama for $9.99! (The one you have pictured there.) I picked up a couple of sets when I saw that. (I bought every copy that our local store had!) Borders sometimes clears out stuff like that after the movie. So it may be that next spring you can land a deal like that, when they no doubt re-release the CD's with a Voyage cover on it.

I'll be keeping my eyes out for deals such as those at that time!

Miller Moments said...

We love Radio Theatre. I think we have some and I've kind of forgotten about them. I'm going to go dig them out right now!

Julia said...

We love audio books! Our family likes to listen to them when we do chores or have a day of painting a bedroom or something. These are great pics!

Ticia said...

I love audio books too, they're great in the car on car trips (We listened to part of the Dawn Treader, but Jeff wasn't in the mood).

Try Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Coffer (same guy that wrote Artemis Fowl). Your husband might like the guy who did the reading.

Family Christian Stores has the Focus on the Family dramatizations for about $20.

bekahcubed said...

The dramatizations sound like a lot of fun. I generally prefer to read the books rather than listen to audio books (I tell people it's because my "heart language" is the written word!)--but for a series that I'm already familiar with, the dramatization might serve to put it in different perspective. Maybe I'll have to check it out!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10