Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Meet Ruby!

Ruby is a terrific raccoon that is the main character in some God-glorifying beginner readers.  She and her animal friends like Dan Duck, Fiona Fox, Bunny Rabbit, Carlos Crow seem to find the good in not so great situations.

Ruby Paints a Picture (I Can Read! / Ruby Raccoon)Our favorite Ruby book is probably Ruby Paints a Picture.  Ruby loves to paint pictures of God's gifts, and begins painting a tree.  One by one, her friends come along and request that she paint them.  Ruby is happy to paint them because they are each a gift from God.  When they see the painting, they are each disappointed that Ruby did not paint their best feature (webbed feet, long ears, wide wings and red tail).  At the end of the book, Ruby explains that she painted four very special gifts from God.  Her friends quickly change their minds and say that Ruby did paint the very best part of them-their smiles!

Ruby's Perfect Day (I Can Read! / Ruby Raccoon)
Ruby's Perfect Day is another sweet book.  In this book Ruby awakens to a perfect day.  Throughout her day she tries to make to include her friends in her fun plans, but everyone is too busy.  Ruby perseveres and goes about her day on her own.  At the end of her day, she thinks about the day and all of the gifts from God.  Then she realizes that it was a perfect day for being with God!  A perfect book!  I especially appreciate that this book helps our daughter understand that even when a day doesn't go the ideal way, we can still find good in it...and God's gifts!

Ruby Bakes a Cake (I Can Read! / Ruby Raccoon)Another sweet book is Ruby Bakes a Cake.  Ruby wants to bake a cake, but she doesn't know how to do it.  She consults her friends, and they all give her a different item to include, to their liking.  It's so cute how they suggest nuts, carrot tops, snails, wiggly worms, and flies.  What's funnier is that Ruby goes home and includes each thing!  She's a bit concerned about how it smells, but her friends still come over to eat it.  Despite Ruby saying it doesn't taste good, her friends encourage her.  They compliment it's size, shape, color, and how juicy it is.  Ruby thanks God for her friends and the cake!

These books are adorable!  I really like them and think they are great for read alouds as well as beginner readers!

Thank you Zonderkidz for providing us with review copies.

3 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

These books sound great. Thanks!

Carrie said...

Oh! I ran across these the other day but I didn't get a chance to look through them and wondered about them (being that they are Zonderkids books.) Thanks for filling me in!

Ticia said...

I'm seriously jealous of your reviewing for Zonderkidz, these are awesome books!

Of course if I did review for them I'd have to find a lot more bookshelf space, which I don't have right now, sigh need to purge books.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10