Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wall Hanging-Personalized

I made this set of three wall hangings for a friend who just had her third daughter.  (Well, in December.  It took me a while, huh?)  My goal was to have three distinct but coordinating hangings. I chose three scrapbook papers that coordinated well enough (hopefully), and used my Cricut to cut the letters in blue and the shadowed letters in a pink/purple.  It was the best I could do without knowing favorite colors or bedroom colors.

I began with wooden ovals (available at Wal Mart, Michaels, Joanne) traced onto the paper.  I painted the edges to match the main color of the paper, and then dry brushed additional acrylic paint in similar shade.

Next I Mod Podged the paper on to the wood.  (Someone recently recommended using a glue stick first, and just Mod Podge the top layer.  Any thoughts on this?)  Then I put a few more layers on top.  After it was dry, I added the lettering.  Toothpicks helped to move them around.


Once I went over the letters a few times with Mod Podge and it dried, I hot glued a ribbon loop to the back (for hanging) and followed that with felt (cut to the oval shape).  The purpose of the felt is to protect the wall.

My friend said her girls loved them.  I know I love all things personalized for children.

I may make one of these for my son's room for his Easter basket.  He officially has nothing on his walls (not even colored paint).  Unfortunately, almost all of my scrapbook paper is pretty feminine, but I will make something work.  I hope.

If you have been reading for a while (or you explore the sidebar's favorite posts), you might recognize this as a variation of the personalized barrette holder.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How Crafty! I love it! I used to Mod Podge all the time, but haven't lately.

Those would make adorable birthday gifts!

Sherrie M. said...

Great idea! How does it stick to the wall? With the ribbon hoops?

Annette W. said...

Yes, Sherrie, the ribbon loop is how I hang it on the wall. I changed the post to reflect this! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those really turned out pretty! My girls would love them.

Miller Moments said...

very cute! I am so not crafty, but I appreciate the creativity of others. :)

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

These are just beautiful! I love mod podge... I'm not sure I'd use a glue stick in place of the first layer, maybe try it first on something not so special? You did a wonderful job on these; I can see how much time and effort you took, what a thoughtful gift!

Christy Killoran said...

They are so pretty! I love personalized things for kids too!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10