Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Manger, Baby, and Advent Book

I am getting in the Christmas mode, and thought I'd share how we used the Christmas Advent Book Calendar  last year and will definitely be doing this year too, but with both of our children!

The Story of Christmas: Story Book Set & Advent CalendarThe Story of Christmas advent calendar and book set is fabulous. It opens like you would open the doors to a barn (in the center), and inside are 24 miniature (tiny!) four page books that tell the story of how God rescued us through the birth of Jesus.  Each Bible-based book has a number on it, so you you don't need to guess the order of the books if they are not in the book.  Each mini book has a string, so you can hang it on the tree, if you wish.  Last year we weren't able to do that, so the book would appear along with a piece of "hay" and then we placed it in the book.  I totally recommend this Advent Calendar and know that there are similar ones out there that are also great!

The "hay" was really a small piece of brown yarn that M would place in the manger.  It  prepared the manger for Jesus' arrival on Christmas morning.  The craft stick manger is just made with craft sticks and hot glue.  Baby Jesus was pretty simple to make with just some simple stitches, but you could even use glue and a marker if you don't like a needle and thread.  You can read about the making of felt baby Jesus if you like.

This was our big way of learning about Jesus' birth last year, but this year I'd like to complete the incredible Jesse Tree in time!  One (of the many) things I like about the Jesse Tree is that it can be used for children of all ages.  I anticipate using ours for many, many years.  One of my friends even adjusted some of the Scripture used to match the Jesus Storybook Bible.  I thought that was brilliant.  (Unfortunately, she's not a blogging friend, so I don't have a link.)

I am linking up to stART, ABC and 123's show and tell, and Crafy SoireeRead. Explore. Learn.  These are all great resources for all of us looking to teach our young children or just be crafty!

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Annette, I love this. Really really love it. I think I have to buy that book.

Ticia said...

Maybe this year we'll actually do a Jesse Tree, I think they're so cool!

Lisa said...

We picked up the same kind of little book Advent calendar at the thrift store last year, but the theme was the Nutcracker. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the Nativity version.

I love the yarn in the manger activity. I may have to try that one myself.

Carrie said...

Oh oh oh! SO glad you mentioned the Jesse tree. I was thinking I wanted to do that this year. (I remembered one blogger suggestion from last year that I intend to implement this year but had forgotten the tree!)

I have a post about Advent books going up but I only knew of two and was asking for suggestions. Hadn't heard of this one so I'm hoping when my post goes up you'll throw this link in and remind me of it AGAIN (because I need frequent reminders!) Obviously.

LaVonne said...

I like this idea. We have done an advent calendar but not incorporated Jesus story into yet. I want to do this little books this year! Thanks for sharing. You've got yourself a new follower :)

Unknown said...

This sounds great. I haven't decided how to handle Advent with JDaniel. I will have to look for this book or do a Jesse tree with him this year.

RedTedArt said...

What a very cute crib! Lovely!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty link up party

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Thanks for linking up your tradition ideas Annette!

DANA said...

I really like this post! I would love for you to come over and link up at my Strut Your Stuff Party that started tonight! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-party-giveaway-and-another-winner.html

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10