Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Not a Sparrow Falls (Review)

First off, I would like to say that this was a great book!   Not a Sparrow Falls by Linda Nichols is a well-written, throughly enjoyable book.

From Bethany House Publishers:

Mary Bridget Washburn is tired of running, tired of being haunted by the empty shell her life has become. How in the world did the little girl she once was become a woman on the wrong side of the law?
Determined to make a new start, she escapes to the quaint city of Alexandria, Virginia, where she takes on her mother's identity and finds sanctuary in the shadow of a decades-old church. But a little girl's plea proves to be her undoing, and the reverend•well, someone's got to open his eyes before disaster comes calling.
Can Mary Bridget and her tainted past stay hidden long enough for her to bring hope to a family falling apart?

My Review:
Mary Bridget is living a life of drugs despite her upbringing.  She finds a way to escape this, but not without consequences, guilt, and shame.  Though she begins a new life, she can't let go of the past she is running from.  The new life is sincere and true, yet she is still tormented by the life she lived.  She takes on a new identity and becomes a nanny for a family that is loveless and difficult, yet she gives of herself and finds a home and family in return.  She keeps her secret...and it may be detrimental to all the efforts and changes she has made.

I highly recommend Not a Sparrow Falls.   I don't want to say much more about what happens, but this is a real page-turner.  One thing that surprised me was how much Linda Nichols made me like Mary Bridget, despite her lifestyle.  I think Nichols portrayed the horrible trap of drugs very well, especially how hard it is to break free of the lifestyle (not just the addiction).  Most of all, she reassured the reader that God truly cares about His children despite how far away they may be from them.

This book has recently been republished with new cover art.

Thank you, Bethany House for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm with you! Awesome and powerful read...not to mention entertaining and thought-provoking. I really like Nichols.

Karla said...

I would love to win this book. It sounds excellent. hanns3@sympatico.ca

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10