Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, May 6, 2010

No Sew Tutu


I made this tutu for M.  Isn't it giant?  A friend gave me some of her leftover white and pink tulle to do this.    The tutorial suggested a ribbon for the waistband but I used elastic.  I would suggest the ribbon, too, especially if your child has any sensory issues!  I intend to make another tutu using the ribbon for the waistband instead of elastic.  You can check this tutu video tutorial  for instructions.  (I did sew the elastic waistband, but the rest was completed without any sewing.)

It was a great tutorial for me.  The tutu took me 1-1 1/2 hours to make-while watching television.  Imagine if I had concentrated!  The picture above doesn't really show the colors well, but I used a 2:1 ratio of white to pink tulle.  The tulle crinkled on its own to create a nice "poof"!

M does love the idea of the tutu...she just isn't ready to wear it on a regular basis yet!  She doesn't like the feel of the tulle on her legs because it is itchy.  She put her little feet in a ballerina pose without any prompting or suggestions from me!

When my husband knew what I was making he asked me why.  I explained how much fun M had at our friend's house wearing a tutu.  It may sound like a weird question, but, I have to say that we have never encouraged/emphasized the love of pink, princesses, or ballerinas.  Girly is not bad.  We just don't really emphasize it.  (Hopefully we are finding a good balance for our son, too.)

As I said, I intend to make another tutu for M.  Since I am almost out of the pink tulle, I think I will add color using ribbons hanging down from the waist.  Do you think it would work?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Super cute, looks like she loves it!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10