Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gingerbread Children

Packaging paper...we often get it in abundance at this time of the year, and I try to reuse it.  Today's project used paper from ONE little box.  Last year I shared a different packaging paper use that my daughter actually remembered when I put the paper on the floor today! 


Yesterday morning I was going through my google reader catching up with some blogging friends when I came across my friend at Superheroes and Princesses post about how they made a gingerbread boy and girl. I was instantly inspired, especially since we have the book memorized and all needed materials were on hand.

We read Richard Scarry's The Gingerbread Boy often-several times a week.  We recently borrowed The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett from the library and loved that, too.  M was absolutely thrilled with the idea of making a gingerbread girl, and E, our 2 year old, was eager to do like his sister.

First, I traced their bodies.  Um.  Just so you know, my children do have necks!

I gave E some buttons to color, though he did scribble some.  I actually colored his hair and showed him the facial features that I colored.

M spent most of her time making "rainbow hair."  She really likes rainbows!  She also gave herself some buttons.  I drew some flowers for her to color, too.  Everything else she did completely on her own.  I love the giant smile!

E really wanted to spend his time playing with the markers.  Cap on.  Cap off.  In the box.  Dump the box.  

I cut out the gingerbread after they colored.  (M wanted the extra bit of her head included.  She had turned her head while I was tracing.  Oh well.)
Meet Gingerbread Girl and Gingerbread Boy!

 Created and Inspired by M and E.
 
Thanks, Christy, for another great idea!

I'm linking up this week to ABC and 123 and stART!  Check them out for other awesome kid activities!

11 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I love their gingerbread selves! They came out so cute. Our heads and necks look a bit odd too! The kids certainly don't care. I really like M's rainbow hair! I'm glad you had fun with this.

Jennifer said...

Too cute!!!

I'm actually off this morning to find brown paper for this very idea!!

Ticia said...

They turned out super cute. We're going to make the cookies today.......

Crystal said...

What an adorable idea!

Unknown said...

This is so cute! They turned out so well. thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Cute idea! They did a wonderful job.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love seeing different gingerbread children popping up on blogs. I thought M's gingerbread girl is super cute.

Jenny said...

M looks very model-esque in her photo. Fun project (and easy, too - hopefully the theme of our activities the next few weeks).

Miller Moments said...

These are fabulous!

chris said...

Love the lifesize Gingerbread folks! What a simple and fun craft for kiddos. :)

The Activity Mom said...

Love love love those! =)

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10