Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Some New Things That I Love (Crock Pot 101)

I was absolutely shocked when my husband brought home a new crock pot for us to use-before Christmas.  We tend to be very practical when it comes to gifts...and a crock pot is definitely practical.  Derek got it for about $6 at Lowes!

Seven and one half years ago we were given the big crock pot that we registered for as a bridal shower gift.  My aunt and uncle gave it to us.  When we were registering, I thought bigger was better.  I was wrong.

Our 6 quart crock pot is just too big for our family.  I rarely make roasts that large, and cooking two or three chicken breasts in a large crock pot just dries out the meat.

Crock-Pot SCR300SS 3-Quart Round Manual Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel
This picture actually shows
 the crock pot too full!
When it comes to crock pots, it is best to keep it 1/2 to 3/4 full for most efficient use.  If you only put in a little meat, then it's best to add lots of vegetables to make it half full.  My large crock pot was never half full.  

I am so thankful for my new 3 quart crock pot.  We'll keep the big one for when we have company-or four children.  Which ever comes first.  (I'm joking, but not opposed to a larger family either.)  The big one has served us very well, but now my little one is taking up much less room in the cupboard!

Over Thanksgiving we also got a new treat for cold nights-which is every night for me.  We bought a king-sized electric blanket!  It was a real steal for about the price a twin electric blanket would be.  My nights are so much more comfortable now!  With dual controls, we can both be comfortable!

In the future I will be reviewing a product for CSN Stores.  It will likely be something very practical for our home.  We could really use some help with our basement organization, so if you have any tips or product recommendations, please let me know!  They have everything from TV stands to toys to book cases, and I look forward to working with CSN Stores again for a product review and a giveaway for my readers, too!

1 comment:

Dorie said...

I have to agree on your assessment about crock pot sizes. It does make such a difference. We have two as well, and I use them both for different size recipes or dishes.

Let's see, as we have no basement only a slab foundation, I don't have any particular advice for basements. However, three of my favorite organizational tools are hooks, baskets, and shelves.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10