Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a MockingbirdDo you know that To Kill a Mockingbird was first published 50 years ago?  I read this book nearly every year in high school.  (That means about six times because my high school was 7th-12th grades.)  My homeroom teacher was an English teacher, and she had 25 copies or so sitting on her shelves, and I was always welcome to read a copy during homeroom.  Oddly enough, in tenth or eleventh grade when I should have read it for class, Mrs. Batch was on sabbatical and Mrs. Brown did not use it in class.  After college, I purchased my own copy.  I would like a copy of the movie for my own instead of borrowing it from the library.  (It is on my Christmas list this year!)

Well, this month Amy, at Hope is the Word, has challenged readers to read, watch, or read about TKAM.  I am not sure what I will be able to do before September begins, but I do know two exciting things.  This week I won Scout, Atticus, and Boo from Bookin' with Bingo!  (As far as winning things, I should write a list of my favorite wins...I have had some fabulous ones like a set of Mysterious Benedict Society, Daughter of Mine, and a vacuum.  That's why I like to offer giveaways! I'm pretty sure this book will be a favorite win, too..)

Coming up, I will also review a book from Tyndale called Mockingbird Parables.  I hope I am not disappointed.  That paired with Scout, Atticus, and Boo should keep me content for a long time!  I'm not sure either of these books will arrive in time for the challenge, but I hope so!  In the meantime, I should probably reread my all-time favorite book.  Want to join me?

5 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We just finished listening to an audio version of book, last evening, and then watched the movie after the little ones went to bed! I'm so glad for the Hope is the Word challenge, or I probably never would have encountered Harper Lee's story - it's very good.

Miller Moments said...

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have never read this book! And I was an English major my first two years of college. :( Maybe I need to hit the stores and pick up a copy.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

Annette, thanks so much for mentioning Daughter of Mine as one of your favorite wins! I am truly flattered. I have yet to read To Kill a Mockingbird, and since this year is its 50th anniversary, it would be good to do so. By the way, love the new look of your blog!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, Annette, I'm so glad you're joining in! I'm reading Scout, Atticus, and Boo right now, and I'm enjoying it! :-)

I'm looking forward to your posts, whether they're in August or not! :-)

Carrie said...

I read this one while on vacation this past week. Couldn't believe I had taken so long to read it and yet, feel like I appreciated it more because of age and a bit more maturity. Incredible book. I'll be looking forward to hearing about the Parables book!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10