Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Colored Pasta Necklace (with Recipe)

My daughter loves jewelery.  She was first introduced to it by making her own pasta necklace and making others to give as gifts.  The colored pasta was very easy to make. I made a big batch so we would have extras to use in her kitchen (she would try to eat uncolored pasta when she was younger) and other projects.

Colored pasta is very easy to make.
To make necklaces, just use a tubed pasta like rigatoni or ziti. (I would suggest ziti for older children and rigatoni for younger.)
Place 2 cups of pasta in a zipper bag.
Add 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and 4-6 drops of food coloring.
Mix thoroughly, then spread on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil.
    When completely dry (overnight or so) you can play away!
    I learned that pipe cleaners are much easier to thread than taped yarn.
    Make a bracelet with one pipe cleaner or a necklace with two!  At age 2 1/2, M was able to make these pretty much all by herself, and she was thrilled with the results.

    More than a year has gone by, and sadly the necklace and bracelet set were stepped on too many times.  I think we will make another set soon!

    2 comments:

    Christy Killoran said...

    It's been a while since we last did this. I'll have to color some pasta soon.

    Lisa said...

    I was just looking up colored rice online a day or so ago. This would be just as much fun, I'm thinking. Those little salad noodles would be good for bigger kids too, the short little segment ones.

    This Simple Home (The New Blog)

    • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

    Follow This Simple Home

    Best Blogger Tips

    sitemeter 2.16.10