Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, October 29, 2009

stART: Mouse Paint

M is home from preschool this week (with a little rash), so we had some extra creative time.
We borrowed the book Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh from the library. It is really, really cute. Three little mice who jump in some paint. Then they walk in some puddles creating new colors. It is super for showing children how to mix primary colors to make new colors.
For our ( story + art= a great) stART, I read the book again while doing the project. Each jar of paint was a blob of paint on the paper. We pretended the q-tips were the mice's feet. And then we mixed colors.
This was fun, but I think we could revisit this again when she's older. I did this spur of the moment, but there are lots of activities out there. Here is one site of ideas.
For other stART activities, visit A Mommy's Adventures.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great project. Thank you for linking up :0)

Madonna said...

Mouse Paint is a cute story. My son loved it. It definitely helped him identify different colors. I love how you brought a pretend element into it.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We also enjoyed Mouse Paint - it's a great book. This project of color mixing with q-tips is great. I am not even sure if Anna ever painted with q-tips, it sounds like fun.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Sounds pretty good for spur of the moment. Sometimes those are the projects that are the most fun.

Cindy said...

Mouse Paint is one of my Favorite books. So fun. I have seen it where people put red, yellow and blue jello in ziplocs and have the kiddos squish the bags to make orange, green and purple jello. We haven't done this yet though.

sbswtp said...

Cute project :)

silly eagle books said...

We love this book. After reading the book, I let my daughter use some bathtub paint during bath time one night. She had so much fun mixing the colors "just like the mice!"

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

We like that book too - I think this was a great idea!

Christy Killoran said...

Mouse Paint is one of our favorite books. We also love Mouse Count. C loves to mix colors with purpose, but R just wants to mix all of the colors together and it is okay that she always gets brown!

Debbie said...

We love this book as well, but I would never have thought of q-tips for the mouse prints. What a great idea!

The girl who painted trees said...

Love the idea of using qtips as mice feet in the paint!
http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

We haven't read this book...looks like a lot of fun. Nice painting!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I like how you pretended that the q-tips were the mice feet! Cute.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10