Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Family Tree

This project was inspired in early summer when my older sister gave me a necklace that had a tree on it and it said, "Family is nature's masterpiece." Really, the credit goes to God, but it's a wonderful necklace and 100% my taste. I have a thing for trees.
Shortly after getting the necklace, I had a vision to make a visual family tree. I set to work drawing the tree. This took MANY hours. It's been a long time since I drew anything other than flowers, rainbows, and sunshines for M. (I used to be a bit of an artist. During college I even took a couple classes...enough for an art concentration with my elementary education degree.) At first I was going to keep the leaves uniform by drawing a pattern first. In the end, I decided to draw each leaf freehand. It makes sense since cutting them out is not an exact science for my hands.
I'm pleased with the outcome. The leaves can hold the name of family members. The circle can hold a family surname or initial. Of course it's important to leave blanks for new spouses, adoptions, or births.
If you make one of your own, please let me know! I do ask that you respect the time and effort I put into this and not copy the tree exactly as it is, but just use it as a guide.
Though I think it would be fun to sell (a tweaked version of) this one day, I am really pleased with how it turned out. The first people to get this were the three friends that signed up for the Pay It Forward post. This is the gift I sent them. They, in turn, choose something...anything...to send to three others.
The three blogging friends who got this (not filled out so that they could frame it and give it as a gift if desired) were Debbie (a friend from my church) at Debbie's Digest, Nicole at The Activity Mom, and Lisa at Cheerios Underfoot.
When I was spending an evening cutting (actually many evenings) the trees and leaves, Derek asked me why I didn't just use the Cricut. Wouldn't that be nice? The Cricut just doesn't do customized cutting for me. Wouldn't that be nice though? (I did use the Cricut for the circle and initial though.)
What do you think? Any suggestions for improving the design before I make any more? I'm already thinking to use darker brown for the tree. I used an off-white paper for the background, but a creamier color might be better. I'm not sure if a printed background would be better. What else might help?

9 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

Let me just say that the picture doesn't do it justice. It is incredible in person! Very cool craft and decoration. Thanks again!

Crystal said...

I love your tree! I have wanted to do some type of family tree for a while and yours is my favorite that I have seen. Seriously it is beautiful.

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

This is amazing! I love it. You did a wonderful job! If you do start selling them, I'll be the first to sign up! I think a quote would be a nice addition. My favorite family quote is, "We are a family created in God's mind before the dawn of time."

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

My goodness, it's lovely just the way it is. Perfect! You are very talented!

Rachel said...

Love the tree! Great idea!

Lisa said...

I love it. I still haven't put mine together, but I think I'm going to try to put it together for my husband for Christmas. Thanks again for sharing your talent and time with me.

silly eagle books said...

This is beautiful--is it made entirely out of paper? Did you cut out all the pieces or just the leaves? I love this idea--thanks for sharing it.

AUDRA said...

love you as well!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

That is very beautiful! That it is hand drawn makes it even more special.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my family tree! :)
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10