Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, October 22, 2009

PICU

Not the normal post, but I consider my readers my friends... We are at AI DuPont Children's Hospital with our son. (For those of you who don't know he turns 1 on Sunday.) This morning when I went in to get E he was having a seizure. We're in the Pediatric ICU. Seizures aren't new to us since M has had two (3/2007, 3/2008), but M's were harmless, short febrile seizures. E's seizure continued and continued, though it changed while we were in the ambulance and seemed to stop. But it didn't. By the time we made it to the hospital (which is about 50+ minutes from our home) it was still happening off and on. Seizure meds only helped so much. But now he is doing okay. He has had an EEG on his brain which showed no seizure activity. The spinal tap came back clean. We don't know what is truly happening. It will be another 48 hours before one of the test results comes back, so E will not be discharged before then. Derek was at work, of course, when this happened. I called him after calling 911, but based on our experience with M, we weren't too concerned. Eventually I called our parents and pastor. At some point Derek and I realized he was very needed here, so he went home and collected toiletries, clothes, and reading material for me. He was even thoughtful enough to get slippers and the laptop. (And boy are we happy that the hospital has wireless. Three years ago it didn't, but we didn't have a laptop then, either. Pastor Bill arrived before Derek, and by that time I was mostly done crying. :) I will post updates if we learn anything more. The anti-seizure meds got him out of it, but it took a fair amount. He's sedated due to all the medicine, but they will let him wake up at this point. He is restrained though, so that he does not try to pull out his breathing tube. (That will be removed when he's awake and alert and ready to have it gone.) Other than that, we wait for test results, though nothing is coming up positive yet. In the meantime, we ask for your prayers. Thank you.

12 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

OMG, this is so very scary! I am sending positive thoughts and hoping that Evan will recover completely and that you will find the reason behind this. Have faith and courage.

The girl who painted trees said...

Praying for you and your family, Annette, and especially for E.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Oh, Annette, I'm so sorry! This must be terribly stressful and frightening. Your family, especially little E, are in my prayers. Let us know (if you can) when you hear anything new.

Crystal said...

Oh I hope everything goes okay. That sounds so scary. Please keep us updated and we will be praying for your family.

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness, I will be praying for E today. May he be healed in Jesus name!

The Activity Mom said...

I will be keeping you guys in my prayers and also will pray for the doctors to have wisdom and that they will know what to do to help E!

Rachel said...

So sorry Annette! We are keeping him in our prayers! Praying that God would heal him! :) Is pastor still with you?

I would Like to share a couple of verses that I have been repeating to myself this week with all the trial we have been through...I pray it will be a comfort to you in this time dear friend!

"Fear not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of righteousness." ~ Isaiah 41:10

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength." ~ Isaiah 40:29

In Christ!
~Rachel~

Michelle said...

I just spent the past week in the hospital with my daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

Ticia said...

I'll pray for you and make sure to watch for your updates, so I know specifically what to pray. I'm glad to see the update that the breathing tube is out.

Jenny said...

I was stopping by to leave you an award, but this is so heart breaking!

My younger sister has seizures and we never did find out why. It is so scary and I'm so sorry that E had such a bad one.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers for finding some answers soon and for a happy and healthy little boy!

Kathleen said...

Hi Annette...i came here after your cousin angie posted on facebook that you could use some prayer.

I have experience of this ...our son was VERY ill as a toddler....please be assured of my continued prayers and uplifting thoughts.

Adriana said...

We are praying for your little one and your family.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10