Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Monday, February 15, 2010

A Week Without Daddy

Last week Derek, my husband, was away on business.  Thankfully, this does not happen often.

I knew the week away would be toughest on M, my three year old.  I wanted to share some of the ways that I tried to help her through the week.  (My one year old son seemed fine, as expected.  I will post about what I did for ME another time.)  Little did I know just how tough the week would be with being snowed into our home and M missing 3 out of 4 days of preschool due to snow!

  • Daddy wrote notes.  Before he left, Derek wrote a note to the children for every day that he was gone.  I put them in their felt mailbox Sometimes I even wrote a note for a sweet surprise. 
  • Daddy recorded a video.  Before leaving, I recorded a short video of Derek talking to the children.  I waited as long as possible before showing the children, but both loved it!  (Derek did request that it not be put on the blog.  He knows me!)
  • We called Daddy during bedtime snack.  Every night we talked to Derek before bedtime so he could say goodnight to the kids.  E loved to hear his voice and laughed, but Meghan really talked to him.
  • We went grocery shopping in the evening.  So we spent the entire evening eating dinner and then shopping.  There was no time to miss Daddy!
  • We played with friends.  This might sound silly, but it was really good to see some friends, though most days we were snowed in.
  • We got out of the house!  One night we went to the grocery store (before the blizzard hit us), and another night we went to a generous friend's house for dinner.  M and E even got in some much needed rough housing with my friend's husband!  They loved it!
  • Mom played and  played and played.  I was probably a much better mommy this week than usual, giving LOADS of attention to the kids.  Frankly, I am tired of pretending to be the Wonder Pets saving the blowfish, but hey, it works!  
  • Mom was flexible.  One night M wore her dress to bed.  She also had "breakfast" (cereal) for dinner one night, in addition to some other things, I swear!  (I might not care if I eat fruits or veggies all day long, but I make sure my children do!)
  • Mom was silly.  I tried to be extra silly.  It just helped to lighten the mood.
  • M made a "Welcome Home Daddy" sign.  I waited until the morning that he was expected to make it, but M was extremely proud of it.  She also learned a new phrase, and used it to say welcome home!
I know there are amazing moms (and dads!) who go about raising children mostly or fully on their own.  It amazes me!  I am so thankful for my husband and all he does.  I'm not that strong...I need him to help with the children!

What do you do to help your kids overcome a parent going away?  I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

The felt mailbox is a GREAT idea! Oh wow! Mind if I steal it?!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10