Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Granola and Flax Seed


I have heard a lot of the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids for health...for everyone.  My interest was first perked when I read a lot about it related to M's speech disorder, apraxia.

Flax seed is one of those strange health foods that I have only recently learned about, and it is high in the Omega 3 fatty acids.  At the local Amish store, I saw it (ground), and figured I should try it.  I brought it home and had no idea what to do with it.

At first I just put the flax seed in my (and M's) oatmeal.  Some had suggested putting it in yogurt, but that just doesn't appeal to me.  Then I saw a recipe for granola that called for flax seed.  That recipe was not appealing to me, but I searched for others...and found one that is customizable.  Yea!!!  It has a base recipe and then you can choose what to add to it!

I made this recipe twice, but changed it up some.  I definitely recommend using rolled oats, as the recipe calls for it!  (I didn't the first time.)  I thought I'd try honey instead of maple syrup, but don't recommend that either!  However, I do recommend trying this!

You may think I'm weird, but I don't mix the granola in anything.  I just eat it from the bowl with a spoon.  This was fun to make with M...and good to eat, too!  

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I put ground flax seed in everything. Well almost. I sprinkle it one pb&j sammys, ice cream, sloopy joes, chilli, oatmeal, cookie dough, really most anything I make with ground beef, I even mix it into my hamburgers. I don't use a lot b/c it can change the texture.

My granola bar recipe doesn't call for it but I always add some. Here is the recipe. It has honey not syrup. I make them every week. And just to give you a heads up they are better than Fiber One bars so don't eat to many in one day. 1 a day is perfect.:)

http://littledidiknowthat.blogspot.com/2009/08/staple-in-our-house.html

Christy said...

I love granola. I eat it alone or mixed in yogurt.

Miller Moments said...

gave you an award today! :)

Angie said...

I use flax seed all the time. I buy whole flax seed and ground. I use a pepper mill to grind small amounts of the whole and use the ground in recipes.
Here is a great recipe for Peanut Butter Power Bars that uses flax seed. I am going to make some this weekend.
http://saltandchocolate.blogspot.com/2010/02/peanut-butter-power-bars.html

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10