Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

French Onion Soup-Easy!

While Derek was away last week I made French onion soup and had it for lunch...several times.  It was my comfort food, and it was delicious!  Typically, if it is on a restaurant's menu, I order it.

It's easy to make with the recipe I found at allrecipes.com.

Below are my alterations to the above link.  Though I like to start with the original recipe, I didn't have everything on hand this time.  Do check out the original recipe!  It has additional goodies (and unsalted butter) that would make it better, I'm sure!



  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 1 box beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 slices French bread, toasted
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a stock pot, brown onions in butter and oil, stirring frequently.  Add broth, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.  Bring to boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Ladle soup into oven safe bowls.  Add cheese and bread, layering.  (If you have broiler-safe bowls, good for you and use your broiler.  I did not.)  Bake at 400 for 5-10 minutes until cheese on top is melted and slightly browned.  

YUMMY!

3 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

I love french onion soup! I've never made it before. I can't wait to give it a try. thanks!

Renee said...

I love french onion soup! Congratulations...you are the winner of the Third Times a Charm book give away. I've sent you an email too; please let me know where to mail it. Congrats!!

Goat Gal said...

Oh this looks good. And simple! 2 bonuses to me

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10