Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

French Onion Soup-Easy!

While Derek was away last week I made French onion soup and had it for lunch...several times.  It was my comfort food, and it was delicious!  Typically, if it is on a restaurant's menu, I order it.

It's easy to make with the recipe I found at allrecipes.com.

Below are my alterations to the above link.  Though I like to start with the original recipe, I didn't have everything on hand this time.  Do check out the original recipe!  It has additional goodies (and unsalted butter) that would make it better, I'm sure!



  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 1 box beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 slices French bread, toasted
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a stock pot, brown onions in butter and oil, stirring frequently.  Add broth, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.  Bring to boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Ladle soup into oven safe bowls.  Add cheese and bread, layering.  (If you have broiler-safe bowls, good for you and use your broiler.  I did not.)  Bake at 400 for 5-10 minutes until cheese on top is melted and slightly browned.  

YUMMY!

3 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

I love french onion soup! I've never made it before. I can't wait to give it a try. thanks!

Renee said...

I love french onion soup! Congratulations...you are the winner of the Third Times a Charm book give away. I've sent you an email too; please let me know where to mail it. Congrats!!

The Fifth Street Mama said...

Oh this looks good. And simple! 2 bonuses to me

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Summer Fun - The summer's been busy. Over breakfast I recently asked Big Sister what she wanted to do that day. She thought of something we hadn't done since the early ...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10