Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Three Little Pigs Puppets

This past spring I made these finger puppets for M. She had really been enjoying the story of the Three Little Pigs, and I thought it might encourage some speech and eventually storytelling.
I had so much fun designing the puppets. They're my own design, but I did look at other puppets and drawings of pigs and wolves to try to get an idea of how to best portray the pigs and wolf. The little pockets on the pigs have hay, sticks, and bricks in them.
Each of the Three Little Pigs characte's puppet is completely hand-sewn. They're about 1 1/2 by 3 inches. Obviously, I am not good at French knots, but I got the blanket stitch down! Not including the designing time, I have six to seven hours of sewing involved in the four puppets!
I wanted to share these for the storytelling theme over at ABC and 123. Though M isn't interested (probably due to her limited speaking abilities) in storytelling, she does like it when I tell stories using puppets. I suspect other children might embrace little finger puppets more than she has! If you have any questions about how to make finger puppets, I'd be happy to answer them! You're welcome to imitate my design, but I'd appreciate the credit since I put a lot of effort into the design.

12 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, you are brilliant. These puppets are great. We have some from IKEA that Anna likes, but mostly we play theater with paper stick figures that we make together.

Eva said...

Oh mY goodness, those are soo adorable, I've always wanted to try my hand at finger puppets :D if I ever get around to making some I'll definitely use yours for reference. I love how each of the pigs has a pocket with bricks, sticks, and hay!! so clever :D

Eva said...

ps- I like how you have a list on the side of upcoming projects! good idea :D

Cindy said...

A few months ago we made a puppet theatre out of a tall skinny box. I made a little curtain and my boys love it. These will be great for it. Can't wait to make them and blog about it. I'll let you know when I do.

Susana said...

I love these!! I wish I could sew:-)! You did an amazing job and I enjoyed this post!

Susana @ Our Homeschool Fun
www.ourhomeschoolfun.blogspot.com

Casey at the Wonder Years said...

We have a few sets of store bought finger puppets (bought on clearance), but none of The 3 Little Pigs. I might have to steal your idea!

They are adorable!

Katie said...

Your piggie puppets turned out so cute. The look very professionally done. Fun! Thanks for joining this week's PTT.

Miller Moments said...

SOOOOOO adorable!

kw said...

When are you opening your Etsy store?
:o)

Lessons from the Boys said...

Thanks! I guess I need to learn to sew. I can cross stitch, so maybe that will help!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

These are adorable! I loved them when you featured them in our blog swap! What a cool way to tell the story!

Thanks for linking! : )

Chels said...

I like your puppets a lot! Thanks for commenting on my guest post and for liking my pigs craft!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10