Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, August 3, 2009

Planning Time

In February when M was diagnosed with apraxia, we thought about preschool. Preschools are a language-rich environment and can be very beneficial. We don't know if she will qualify for the developmental preschool with the speech and language classroom, but we did decide not to put her in a regular preschool this fall. Hopefully we'll know later this month or early in September if she is going to the developmental preschool. In the meantime, we'll do a bit of preschool at home. As a mom I have the opportunity to be such a huge influence in my children's lives. I want to take it. M loves to learn. So hopefully this month I will get everything ready and prepared for our own mini-homeschool. I don't consider myself to be a homeschooler. I'm just a mom, wanting to teach my children. However, I am the type of person who needs to plan. (But don't ask me how my meal planning went for July...) So that's why I am going to use some resources for curriculum...but it will be very loosely, not strictly. M will not be in kindergarten for three more years. There is absolutely no need to push her now. Therapy pushes her a lot. I want our school to be fun, but structured for me, so I know what to do and have a plan to implement it. I also think she will enjoy the structure. At this point, I'm looking at a few sites for ideas. Some are Christian sources, with plenty of "other" academics included, too.
  • Hubbard's Cupboard - Detailed lesson plans. It has a curriculum for many different ages. It seems simple, and it has lots of pictures. A Christian curriculum.
  • ABC Jesus Loves Me- This may be a bit advanced for M, since it starts at age 3, but it's still an excellent resource.
  • Preschool Express by Jean Warren. Jean Warren also has lots of books at our tiny local library for preschools. Great learning resources, but not a curriculum. You can find great unit ideas though.
  • Bible Story Sundays- This is new and awesome. I want to do some major themes from the Bible, and I already see this as a great resource for ideas. I will also be able to share what we do, if I want to.
  • Various other blogs/sites that I frequently visit like ABC and 123 and The Home Teacher's Wiki site for ABC ideas. Many of the blogs I visit incorporate lots of meaningful actitivities into their lives each day, but these two sites I am including bc they have their activites so organized.

Of course my local library (especially when I can use two county (on-line) libraries, plus our church library!) is a great resource. I will continue to use it for children's books as well as preschool teaching resources. I really appreciate having two libraries (in two states) within 15 minutes of my home. Where I grew up there wasn't (and still isn't!) a local library within the school district.

I have signed us up for Community Bible Study (CBS). It's a national interdenominational organization that does a great job teaching adults and children. The children's program is awesome, too. I was part of it for two years before. I'll be starting at a new location this time though. If M doesn't go to preschool, this will be a good, structured learning environment for her to supplement Sunday school and Toddler Church.

I'm just starting to think about what to do, but it's hard since I only want to plan a bit since we may not need it for too long. Some things I hope we do before mid-October are apples, moon, family/me, Creation, and Noah's ark. We'll see what happens in reality.

Any tips for organizing my thoughts? Any recommendations for anything? I just hope I don't get overwhelmed!

5 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Sometimes I find that there are so many resources that it is easy to get overwhelmed. I try to follow their lead and do things that interest my children. For example, my daughter is crazy about butterflies so we just got caterpillar larvae and we went to a butterfly garden.

M is lucky to have such a great mom!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am with Christie - I like the idea of theme-based curriculum best, possibly complemented with something like "letter-of-the-week". We are doing "sounds of the week" now - emphasis on phonics and prereading skills. I am sort of making mine up from multiple resources as we go. In addition, Anna will be going to a new preschool 3 mornings a week, so my husband can work more. He is a freelance software engineer, and he has a hard time finding time to work now, when Anna has become unreliable with her naps.

Sheena said...

I've just recently found your blog and I have some awards for you on my blog.
The link is:
http://turningordinaryintoextraordinary.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-firstand-second-award.html

Mozi Esme said...

Thanks for the list! I just recently discovered Hubbard's Cupboard and have been using the rest, but never checked out Bible Story Sundays before...

Christy's right - there are so many resources out there. I've been putting off "F" school because I haven't had time to check out all my resources, but I've decided to just start with my list of topics and wing it - things usually work better that way, anyway - since Esme has more say in what we do!

Eva said...

I also totally enjoy The Home Teacher blog- I followed her lead in creating a curriculum calendar- that's the easiest way for me to organize my thoughts and plan activities based on my daughter's interests- which at the moment happen to be the arabic alphabet :)

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10