Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, August 24, 2009

Creation

Tot School is typically less structured than what I'm sharing, but I still wanted to share! Tot school is typically just learning through play. Our weeks of Creation were fun, and we played with a lot more toys and speech activities than Creation activities, but I like the idea of putting my Creation thoughts together in a post. Meghan is 34 months old. We've spent the past two weeks talking about how God created the world in seven days. This was a lot of fun for M and me. We use Hubbard's Cupboard for the base, but use very little of the ideas. We focused on the verse Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. We sang it...well, I sang it. M attempted to fill in a few words. Though she is not capable of singing, she would ask for more. (I'm thankful she has no clue how horribly I sing!) This is a mini-Creation book that M colored and read. We also made binoculars to go for a walk to see all of God's creation. We mostly saw rocks, plants, and trees. We did see a few animals and friends, too though. A note here: Super glue made them much sturdier. They were also reinforced with packaging tape. We played a game putting animals in the sea or sky. (FYI, I printed them smaller than the game is made to save ink. Yes, I am cheap like that.) I purposefully made sugar cookies for this little study of creation. As it turned out the animal cookie cutters were quite large, so M only iced the much smaller heart cookies. It wasn't a bad idea though, just not as practical as I would have liked. We also ate Oreo cookies to show the dark and light like God made. We had fun with our moon magic, too. This week we'll be talking about Adam and Eve...I'm looking forward to the challenge. See others' Tot School ideas here.

5 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

My children enjoy learning about Creation too. You had some great ideas.

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

What great ideas! I'm going to use Hubbard's Cupboard too for Izzie this fall. However, we are not beginning "Tot School" until after Labor Day. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and since you guys are ahead of us...using some of your great ideas too!

Rebecca said...

I love the thought of using the oreo cookies as day/night. Ill be using this idea in the future. Thanks!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Great week. I wish there was a parallel secular curriculum on creation of the Earth, but I haven't found one. I don't think Anna is quite ready for Big Bang just yet.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great stuff! don't you just love Hubbards Cupboard!

you won the first giveaway for Open Ended Art if you can email me your addy I'll send your fall colored tissue paper. If you don't want people to have you addy I understand!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10