Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Lack of Self Control: Sugar Cookies

This week I made sugar cookies. My thought was that I would make them one morning and roll them after the dough chilled for a few hours during nap time. I thought it might be fun to do a little with M, my 3 year old. I also had in mind to decorate them using cake decorating tips, since I never have before. You know-practice! With my son teething and being sick this week, not much has gone as planned. (Have you noticed the lack of posts?)

I made the dough on Monday. YUM!! It was great for snacking! The Tuesday night, after the kids were in bed, I rolled it out. These cookies are so good! In fact, they are so good that I have not even frosted them.

Want to know the best part? Both Derek and I like them! It seems to me that if I like a cookie, he thinks it is only "okay." Though he was content to eat the dough, I felt the need to make some Christmas cookies.

There is a downside to great cookies. Apparently, I have NO self-control. Wednesday morning I had a couple after breakfast...and more before lunch. I probably had a few more in the afternoon, and again after dinner for dessert. Seriously. By mid-afternoon I recognized I had a problem. I put them on top of the fridge, somewhat out of reach. By Thursday morning I gained some self control. I didn't have a cookie until nearly lunch time. Then I pushed the cookies far enough back on top of the fridge that I would need a chair to get them down. Now, I know I love a good cookie, but I am NOT usually like this. In fact, I usually freeze my cookies so that they don't go stale. (Cookies are wonderful frozen, don't you know?) Oh, and this was my first time making these sugar cookies. I definitely have a keeper of a recipe!

Since you are not likely to stop by for a visit today for a taste, here is the recipe.
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight). Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
My note: I followed the recipe exactly, but when I rolled them out I used confectioners sugar instead of flour.

What's your favorite recipe? I love to bake...and eat baked goods. I'm always looking for great new things to try. (Remember the cheesecake I made? I agreed to make dessert for a dinner party and made another one today. I just hope it's as good this time as it was the first time!)

If you make these cookies, let me know!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I started making sugar cookies yesterday and half way through I noticed I was out of baking powder. Hopefully next week I can have my Christmas cookies.

Cindy said...

So funny b/c I have the same issue with the sugar cookies I make. I can't stop eating them. So So So Yummy. I am actually already dreading making them next week b/c I know I will eat a whole bunch. I posted the recipe here

http://5sillyfrogs.blogspot.com/2009/11/cream-cheese-sugar-cookies.html

Good Luck with your addiction!

Christy Killoran said...

I have no self control with sugar cookies either. I'll have to try this recipe!

Ticia said...

Hee hee, sounds likea problem I would have, except I just wouldn't make them into cookies. It'd just be dough. Yum

Mozi Esme said...

Confectioner's sugar for rolling out - now there's an idea!

I gotta admit I generally buy the packaged sugar cookie dough when it's on clearance sale and then freeze it - so we've always got some on hand for "school" - and it doesn't usually mess up my self control. So these must be way better.

Jenny said...

HAHA. Funny. Sounds like me. I always try to freeze cookies so I'll stop eating them, but I like them just as much frozen so it doesn't really help.

Anonymous said...

I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case. I’ve been experiencing this very same problem with a new WordPress installation of mine. I’ve spent weeks calibrating and getting it ready when all of a sudden… I cannot delete any content. It’s a workaround that, although isn’t perfect, does the trick so thanks! I really hope this problem gets solved properly asap.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10