Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How to Use a Pork Roast

I have cooked many pork roasts, mostly because I can often find them at a very good price.  The downside of my pork roasts is that they tend to be rather flavorless.  Well, that's not yummy.   We have come up with two alternatives to flavorless pork.

Pulled Pork

The alternative became making pulled pork sandwiches with our roasts.  We don't really use a recipe, but use the slow cooker, lined with a slow cooker bag, if desired.  Place your trimmed roast inside (it can even have a bone).  Add some (maybe 1/2 cup) barbecue sauce, a touch of Worcestershire sauce, and less than 1/4 cup of water.  Cook on low for at least 6 hours, then remove the roast and shred with two forks.  Dispose of the juices (and any bone) right in the slow cooker bag.  Place the shredded meat back in the slow cooker (without bag this time unless you want to use a new one).  Add a lot of barbecue sauce (the rest of the bottle).

(If your husband suggests that he take over making the pulled pork, use caution.  He may add way too much A-1 Steak Sauce.  I know...and we both regret that!  I am hoping that he won't ever add it again.)

Continue to cook on low for about 30+ minutes.  Then serve on rolls.  Yum.

For a tasty and very simple to make pork roast, I used Start Cooking's directions.

Pork Roast

In a small bowl, I combined
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon oregeno
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I rubbed this all over the roast and placed it in the roasting pan, fat side up.  I also used their tip to make a rack for my roasting pan from tin foil.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Then lower two 250 and bake for 50-80 minutes or until internal temperature is 150 degrees.  Much better than my previous unsavory roasts!

How do you use a pork roast?  Any tips for us?

1 comment:

Miller Moments said...

My husband just requested this today. I've never made it before, but thanks to you I now know how. :)

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10