Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Read the Bible!

Honestly, I am really surprised and pleased that I made it through the Bible. IN. ONE. YEAR!  I have never read all of God's Word from cover to cover, though I had read most of it over the years.  By reading it all within one year, I was able to see more of the "big picture" much easier than when reading it just a chapter or so a day.  On the downside, I did not really study the Bible this year...instead I read it like without really taking the time ask thoughtful questions or even looking into other verses to compare (because I chose not to based on time) as much as I would have liked.  However, I know it has been beneficial.  I pray that I will continue to use what I have learned to glorify God and that the Holy Spirit will continue to work in me to bear fruit as evidence of my commitment to the Lord.

You may be wondering how I managed to keep up once my (really-fussy-often-screaming-doesn't-want-to-leave-my-arms-and-rarely-naps) baby was born in October.  Well, my husband has an iPod from work.  Prior to the baby's birth I had barely used it (once, I believe).  However, during the many, lengthy night feedings/cryings I could read the Bible with it (along with emails and my blog reader)!  I could do all of this one handed, so it worked out very well and it kept my place even if I dropped it.  I could never have held a Bible with all the bouncing and patting needed.  (Using biblegateway.com on the laptop works, too.)Of course, my mind was not capable of comprehending everything that I read during those nights, and I often read the same verses multiple times, but I did it!  I read the entire Bible!  And in one year, no less!  (Okay, let's be honest here.  MUCH of that nighttime reading I spoke of was not comprehended though my eyes read the words...)

I really liked Walk Thru the Bible's reading plan (free online) because almost every Saturday and Sunday was a combined reading assignment.  This allowed a buffer day to catch up each week.  It was usually needed.  Walk Thru the Bible also offers a monthly magazine that offers great insight to the daily readings.  However, it wasn't long before my husband and I focused only on the Bible itself...it was just too much to read that, too, though really, it should not have been.

I'm thankful that I took this challenge and  highly recommend reading through the Bible in a year or less at least once!  I'm not sure how I will read the Bible in 2012, but I look forward to taking it slowly while continuing to read it daily.  I'm considering reading through the New Testament.  Anyone can read the Bible, but it is what we do with the wisdom and knowledge within that holy book that matters.

Lord, let my readings of this year and every year bear fruit for your glory.  May my excitement in studying and reading your Word be greater than any other written word.  Help me to grow closer to you through the study of your Word.  Amen.
Image and photo permission from These Grace Filled Days,
a blog of beautiful photography and godly wisdom.

4 comments:

Dorie said...

Yay - Congrats! Like the use of technology to help with the readings - great idea to stay on pace with a newborn!

I still have three more chapters, but will finish it tomorrow. I must say, what a neat way to read Revelation as we celebrate Christmas. It surely helped me keep perspective.

chris said...

Good for you! It's been a while since I read through the whole thing...I think it's time to do it again, not just my favorite parts.
Thanks for the nudge.

Rachel said...

Hurray! :D Good for you! That's so exciting!

I did a similar challenge for reading through the Bible this past year as well...it's wonderful to read all of it and not just pieces. Things are better put right in my mind that way. ;) Lol!

I'm so glad God gave you things and helped you find things that worked for you to help you keep up! :D I enjoy listening to the Bible too...it really helps to get the readings done (washing dishes and listening is good too!). ;)

I agree with you that it's what we do with what we learn from God's word that's the most important. :) Amen!

Blessings to you and your family!
~Rachel~

Ticia said...

Congratulations! My church is currently doing the same thing, and I'm mostly enjoying it (some of the order of reading is driving me a little nuts), but it's gonna be quite an accomplishment.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10