Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Club!

I have never had the privilege of being in a book club.   However, I greatly appreciate others' recommendations and especially like to hear what others think about a book I read-whether I enjoyed it or not.
Reading to Know - Book Club
A while back I was invited by Carrie at Reading to Know to choose a book for the Reading to Know Book Club!  This is a new venture for Reading to Know, but the twelve books chosen for the year of 2012 look fabulous.  Nonfiction and fiction.  Books I hadn't heard of, but have fabulous reviews and sound great.  Others I have always wanted to read or read long ago.  So exciting!


I had the toughest time choosing a book.  I didn't want to pick a book that everyone has read (including me), even if I love it.  (Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird -linked to thoughts, The Help, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to name a few.)  I also didn't want a book that would be too heavy (though deep is okay) of a read...and I was hoping it would be accessible easily in libraries.  I finally decided on a book that I have wanted to read since before it was published.  It has fabulous reviews.  It's based on my favorite book of the Bible.  The author is new to me, but I have been reading and enjoying her blog for over a year now.  I love how she puts so much thought and work into the research for her historical fiction!
Ebook Now Available!

In the month of November, the book club will be reading Jewel of Persia, written by Roseanna White.  I was thrilled to pick it out, even if it's not easily available through libraries...and hope people are intrigued enough to find/buy a copy.  My own library does not have it, but I have recently requested it.  I suspect I will buy a copy for myself, as well, though I rarely buy fiction (unless it is children's).  (You know requesting your book store or library to get a book is a great way for you to support an author, right??)


Check out this line-up! 
January - Beyond Opinion, by Ravi Zacharias. Selected by Sky.


February - Running Away to Home, by Jennifer Wilson. Selected by *Carrie* at With All That I've Been Given.


March - The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan. Selected by Shonya at Learning How Much I Don't Know.


April - Any title by P.G. Wodehouse of your choosing (selected by Tim at Diary of an Autodidact) Just choose one. Especially if you've never read Wodehouse before. (Carrie is happy to make suggestions if you need some.)


May - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain. Selected by Amy at Hope is in the Word.


June - A Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter. Selected by Stephanie at Simple Things.


July - Any book in the Chronicles of Narnia series (as part of the Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge hosted annually at Reading to Know) (Again, just choose one. And make the most of it!)



August - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente. Selected by Bluerose at Bluerose's Heart.


September - Professionalizing Motherhood, by Jill Savage. Selected by Stephanie at Stephanie's Mommy Brain.


October - Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Selected by Barbara H. at Stray Thoughts.


November - Jewel of Persia, by Roseanna White. Selected by Annette at Live, Learn, Love.


December - A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. Selected by Carrie

Want to join the book fun?  The more the merrier!  Check out the book club Q and A.  I appreciate that we don't need to commit to reading all of the books, though I hope to be able to do so.  Hope you'll read along with us!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so glad that you are a part of this! Thanks for putting so much thought into your choice! I loved seeing more of why you chose it. Thanks for sharing that and passing along the invite to others to read along with us!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

What a great idea for a post! I might have to copy you! (of course, my reasons are different.). ;-)

I look forward to reading along with you next year!

Shonya said...

I'm right there with you--seriously excited about our little online book club! :) I'm looking forward to your selection as well as the others. I ordered our Jan read yesterday and looked at the Feb title---ooooh, it looks good! :) I need to get my rear in gear and get my own post up about the book club. Looking forward to getting to know you better through our book discussions! :)

Renee said...

Great post ~ I can't wait to read along with you all next year!

Stephanie Kay said...

Thanks for sharing your selection reasons. I'll have to do the same thing after Christmas. The book you chose is new to me but my be in our library system. I'll have to look for it. Can't wait for the club to begin!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10