Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, December 19, 2011

Finally...A Keeper Biscuit Recipe!

As a bread lover, I just can't get enough of it.  But sometimes I just need something quick.  Biscuits work to fill that need in my belly at those times when I don't have the time or energy to make a loaf of homemade bread.

But I'm always so disappointed in biscuits.  Flat, somewhat tasteless, despite new baking powder.
Until now.
Do you see that lovely split in some of the biscuits?  That had never happened before in the many recipes I've tried.

I made these biscuits twice.  The first time I was thrilled.  The second time I was even more thrilled-since I had made a double batch that time in hopes of putting some in the freezer.  Only a handful made it to the freezer, but it's enough for a dinner for the four of us.  

This recipe actually uses Bisquick, but please, allow me to assure you that they are nothing like the Bisquick recipe's product.  Because I've tried it.  Oh, if you have no buttermilk, that isn't an issue, either.  To make your own buttermilk, just add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk.

My Keeper Biscuit Recipe

2 1/4 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup buttermilk (OR 2/3 c milk + 2 tsp vinegar.  Let sit 5 minutes)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
melted butter for brushing
flour

Preheat oven to 450.  Mix Bisquick, buttermilk, and sugar together by hand.  Add the melted butter and stir until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough onto a well-floured surface.  If dough is sticky (likely) add additional flour.  Knead 20 times.  

Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick (or thicker).  Cut.  Place close together on ungreased cookie sheet.  Brush tops with melted butter.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Remove when nicely browned.  Brush tops again with butter.

A tip for you...when you are craving a bacon-egg-and cheese-biscuit on the way home from learning that you actually are not in labor and your lost sleep and painful contractions were all for nothing...make a batch of these biscuits and cut them out with your biggest biscuit cutter (or even cut squares!), and then make your own sandwich.  Your belly will thank you!

1 comment:

Shonda said...

MMm, I might have to get some Bisquick. I'm looking for a good biscuit recipe.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10