Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Books I Wish I Read in 2011

In addition to the books I read, I listen to a lot of books on CD.  It makes the time in the kitchen washing dishes and preparing meals so much more pleasant!  I have tried to keep track of the books I listen to, but haven't done a very good job.  I created Net's Book Nook for the purpose of documenting the books I read and listen to, but I often forget!

I highly recommend each of these books!  I listened to each of them this year and wish I had taken the time to read them instead.  (I listened to them on CD instead.  I hope to read them one day for myself though.)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer

The Help
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
From the Trade Paperback edition




Sarah's Key (Movie Tie-in) - Tatiana de Rosnay
Sarah's Key, by Tatiana De Rosnay

Two of these books have been made into movies, but I haven't seen them yet.  All but The Help are set (at least partially) around World War II.  The Help takes place in Alabama in the 1960's.  Can you tell I love learning about history through fiction?

Honorable Mentions go to Anne of Green Gables and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, two books I own and love.  Savvy by Ingrid Law and Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.  Both were great!  All four of these are considered books for young readers...yet another theme of my reading.

My apologies for not including descriptions.  Links are to Amazon for you to read more there since I never actually reviewed them.  Please forgive me, but time is limited, but I really wanted to share!  If you want to see the reviews for my top favorite books read (not audio) go here.

What books are your favorites?  I'd love to hear and add to my must read list!  Please leave a comment (and link to a blog post if appropriate) and share!

6 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I still need to read The Help, Hotel at the Corner, and Sarah's Key. I did see the movie The Help and really liked it.

I need to listen to more audiobooks!

Shonda said...

I read Sarah's Key and I will read it again. Is it one of the movies? I know The Help is. I think I need to read that this year. I started it once, but never got into it. I know I need to try.

Christy Killoran said...

I want to read The Help! I can't believe I haven't read it yet.

Dorie said...

Love this post - Yes, definitely you should (if you get a chance) read The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Since it is all written in letter style it lends itself lovely to the visual of the words and feel of reading it.
For The Help, I just started it, and am having trouble finding time to read it...frustrating.

Carrie said...

SAVVY!!! I was wandering all over the used book store a week or so back trying to remember the name of the title I keep hearing so much about and wanted to read for myself. THAT was it!

Bluerose said...

Most of these are already in my reading line-up for 2012. I'm finally reading Anne right now.
I didn't know that The Help was set in Alabama!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10