Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Friday, September 18, 2009

Name Pillow!

I am really trying to make an effort to get off the computer during my children's afternoon naps.  This week this is how I did it.  I made this pillow for M's birthday.  (With all the personalized things I post on this blog, her name is no secret...)  An experienced sewer/appliquer could probably whip this out in one nap...but it took me three or four.  It was really good for me to get off the computer, too.  Healthy, you know?



















It was my very first time using applique.  It's obvious (especially if you blow up the picture).  There are all sorts of puckers. Corners and points are where there should be curves.  One of my seams wasn't really a seam, and I didn't notice until too late...now I have to hand-sew it. 

(If you care, the orange fabric is from a purse I made.  It turned out well, but now I need to make something different for the fall/winter...and larger!)

Since this is for a child, I made the pillowcase removable, which wasn't part of the instructions.  I thought that part turned out well.   I had never made a pillow before, let alone a removable pillow cover that can easily be washed (if it doesn't fall apart due to my lack of sewing skills).

















Pretty cool, I think.  You might disagree, but that's probably because you noticed my lack of sewing skills.  I must have been in a hurry because I can't stand that the pink border is next to the pink M.  It just is not as well balanced as I would prefer.  The overall size is 10x20.  I am pleased with how it turned out, especially since I had not used a zig zag stitch before.

Next time I would:
  • chose a variety of prints in one or two colors
  • make the pillowcase removable again
  • check all seams again...and again...before adding the next step
  • make two inch square corners in matching fabric
  • and make the borders match, but maybe contrast the square corners
  • hopefully sew a straight line
  • hopefully cut a straight line

You can buy the pattern at You Can Make This.  It's a great resource, and you get free patterns for signing up for there newsletter.  View the information for the Personalized Name Pillow here

Even if you have a lack of sewing skills, like me, You Can still Make This.  Ha ha!  I just came up with that!

12 comments:

The Activity Mom said...

I think you are being too hard on yourself. I think it is adorable. I like the colors and patterns. A great gift!

Rachel said...

Looks fabulous to me! :D You did awesome! :) I love the removable feature! Great idea! The colors you chose were so cute! I think the pink looks good next to each other, and with all the other color, it doesn't really matter. ;) It draws your eyes to the "M" that way! :)

I Love YCMT! They have some great stuff on there! :) I have already made two things from there (free patterns though) the table runner and the paper piecing Christmas tree block! :) They turned out great! :)

Blessings!
~Rachel~

Crystal said...

This is so cute and Meghan will love it. I saw this pattern a while ago and had been thinking of buying it. Also your sewing is about a thousand times better than mine so don't worry about.
Thanks for you nice comments on my blog. We live in Utah right now but would eventually like to move to WAshington...and I agree it would be fun to live by you:)

Unknown said...

That is SO cute! I have done some applique and it is definitely challenging! Good job!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It looks so very cute - great outlet for your creativity!

Cindy said...

I need to do the same thing. Get off my comp and start sewing. I have never done much but when I have I have really liked it. The pillow is so cute and I bet she loves it.

Anonymous said...

Very Very Cute! You did a great job. I am horrible at applique.
I won that same pattern during at giveaway at YCMT. But I haven't done anything with it yet. I think those pillows will be on my Christmas To-Make list.

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on the pillow. I love it! We are always our own worst (best) critics. Doing an even satin stitch takes lots of practice. Do you have a rotary cutter? Great for straight lines. I can lend you one to try if not.

Mary (across the street)

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

The pillow looks wonderful! Great job! You give me inspiration to try to make one too.

Katie said...

I love it! The mix of colors is so pretty and fresh. I am with you on the sewing and cutting a straight line, those two things always seem to catch me up!

Eva said...

OOO I like this!! I know what you mean about getting off the computer- I also want to do more sewing but I keep filling my time by going on the computer. I think I'm going to give a try at making a pillow too :) Thanks for sharing

Shonda said...

OK, you got me hooked. I really need to get back into sewing and I would love to make these name pillows for my nieces, nephews and my own.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10