Our preparations for our recent visit to New York City probably began a couple years ago when I began reading to M about the Statue of Liberty. Since we have family there, it was time for a visit!
1. First I wrote a few sentences for M to read. Even if she was not reading, I may have still done this and read it to her. She loved learning about the trip in this fashion.
Though M pretended to think about where we were going, I think she knew immediately!
2. Using handwriting paper, we made a list of who and what we wanted to see in NYC. M then traced the letters. Later I told her about how NYC is called the Big Apple. She added to word apple to the her list...and spelled it correctly!
3. We began reading Cricket in Times Square before she knew of our visit. It's a great book for preschoolers because most of the characters are animals, though intended for much older children. The chapters are short, and include a full page illustration in each. And of course, it introduces things about NYC! (FYI, I recently learned this is part of a series!)
4. We read our favorite Statue of Liberty book.
5. I found some great printables about the Statue of Liberty. The dot-to-dot may have been M's favorite. Here and here are some that are pretty awesome.
6. Though not part of our preparations, the day after we returned home as part of our "recovery/rest" we watched The Muppets Take Manhattan. We really like the Muppets around here!
Taco Soup Recipe - My mom has fibromyalgia. Last weekend she and my stepfather came to visit for the first time in a couple of years. During their visit, I wanted to provide ...