Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Narnia Challenge 2011

July is the Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge over at Reading to Know!  I'm joining up again this year.  For me, this reading challenge really helps me to make sure that I will read (or listen to) CS Lewis before watching the latest movie.
Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out which movie will be next to be produced.  I assumed it would be The Silver Chair, since it is the next book in the series, however, looking around on-line, there is talk that it may be The Magician's Nephew, which tells the reader of the origins of Narnia.  It's considered to be the book before the first written The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  If you haven't read the books yet, I would suggest reading The Lion first.  (If it was Star Wars, would you want to know who Luke's father initially?  NO!  Some of the magic may be missed if you were to read The Magician's Nephew first, too.)

So I think I will attempt to read (maybe listen to) The Silver Chair sometime this month.  On our trip to NYC, we also introduced our daughter to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  We began listening to the book, though we haven't finished it yet.  At one point (about 3/4 the way through), M asked us to turn it off because the witch was too scary.  We did.  We talked a bit more about the book.  Later on she asked to listen again, so that was encouraging.  Despite introducing M (age 4.5) to the book, we will not be showing her the movie yet.  It is just too much for her.  I may screen a cartoon version of it to see how violent they are.  (Any recommendations?  I know there are several versions out there.)

Even if you aren't able to read a Narnia book this month, I hope you'll visit Reading to Know because Carrie will be talking about Narnia all month!  She already offered a great giveaway.  (Who knows...there may be more later!?)

4 comments:

Shonda said...

I think I first was read the Narnia series by my 6th grade teacher. I loved The Magician's Nephew. I would love to see the movie of that! Yes, I think The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe movie would be too scary for M. My nephew saw it and now has nightmares and he was probably 6 when he saw it. I'm trying to figure out when would be a good time to introduce to my children. I think it might be over an elementary school child head, but middle school would be perfect. Sounds like a great challenge! I actually haven't read the whole series and need to before I do to my kids.

Miller Moments said...

My husband loves the Narnia books. I've never read them (maybe I've read the first one) but I really should get them on my list and experience the magic. I like the movies, so I'm sure the books are even better. Thanks for reminding me!

Shonda said...

I gave you a Happy 101 award: http://jsknowlton.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-101-award.html. love, Shonda

Carrie said...

AHH! See, I disagree! (Although I used to agree.) I used to think that you should read the books in the order that C.S. Lewis wrote them. (It was a feeling of loyalty.) However, then I re-read The Magician's Nephew and read other people's arguments about why you SHOULD start there because it gives you the history in chronological order. I would say, now, that it is tons easier to understand the history and flow of Narnia if you start at the beginning - The Magician's Nephew. Hmm, this makes me think I'll write up a post.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is certainly the most popular and by far the most interesting (to me) in talking about particulars of Narnia which are just fascinating. But I do think there is great merit in reading The Magician's Nephew.

But. Well. I have another argument but I'm going to think it through...

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10