Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Friday, October 1, 2010

Monogrammed Pancakes

In the past week I have not been doing too well in the kitchen.  Friday night I made apple crisp without brown sugar.  It was thrown away.

Yesterday was even worse.  I decided to make my cousin's chicken soup (so good!) and some bread.  I had just learned about Irish soda bread.  Since it is quick, I wanted to try it.  I used this recipe.  Well, I ran out of all-purpose flour.  So I used a combination of all-purpose, bread, and white wheat.  That is not what killed the bread.  It's called soda bread for a reason, you know.  It uses baking soda instead of yeast.  Well, guess what I did!?  I used baking powder instead of baking soda.  Maybe it was okay, but the soda bread wasn't appealing to Derek, so we didn't eat it.

Oh, remember the soup I wanted to make?  Angie suggested a 3 pound chicken.  Mine was six.  AND I only allowed about three hours to cook it.  It wasn't going to be ready for dinner at five o'clock, so we had pancakes instead.   I used my homemade pancake mix from the cupboard.

First, I should say that this idea of writing in pancakes is not mine!  I'm not sure if I saw it in a magazine or on-line.  Unfortunately, I have no idea where I saw this.  If you know, leave a comment so I can give credit!

To make a monogram, smiley face, or anything else is quite simple.  I used one of our many medicine syringes, and I filled it with pancake batter.  Then I wrote the children's initials (backwards so when they flip they are correct) on the griddle and a smiley face for Derek.  After they were cooked, I poured additional pancake batter on top.  Then, you just flip and serve as you normally would!

My kitchen woes didn't stop there.  Notice how dark the pancake is.  Two of my pancakes stuck to the griddle and wouldn't flip.  I did turn down the temperature control (which is not accurate), but the griddle was still acting funny.  I think it's time for a new griddle, and I'm not sure I can hold off until Christmas! 

(I did manage to make the fudge nut bars and blueberry coffee cake this week.  Successfully.  Whew!  See, I have much to be thankful for!)

2 comments:

Dorie said...

That is such a neat idea. Thanks for sharing how you did it. I would never have guessed a syringe! I'll have to try it next time we have pancakes.

Carrie said...

=D aaah well, you can't win them all!

Great idea on labeling your pancakes!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10