Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Button Snowflake

'
We don't "do" glitter in our home.  Derek has a strong dislike for it.  :)  Frankly, I'm not fond of the mess it makes after the project is completed either.

We have lots of craft sticks, and I wanted to celebrate our snow with a snow craft.  So we made these snowflakes as a variation to glitter snowflakes that I have seen a lot.

Mine were pretty simple.  I glued the four craft sticks together and painted them with white acrylic paint when the glue dried.  (I think silver would look great!)  I wanted M (age 3) to help, so I only used craft glue to attach the buttons, but hot glue may hold better.  M had great fun choosing white buttons and placing them on the glue.  We used a ribbon so that it could be an ornament.

We made a bunch of these button snowflakes.  We kept one for our Christmas tree, and gave the rest away.

We gave one to our neighbors.  They are a family of eight, so I wrote each person's name on a "spoke" with the year 2009 in the center.

(Since the children are both sick...the messy variety...posting may continue to be sporadic as I use the evenings after they are in bed to recover from the day.)

4 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have wanted to make one of these for a long time and I always forget. Tom despises glitter too. we usually do glitter projects outside or use glitter glue. I hope everyone feels better soon.

Amanda said...

That is a neat idea!

I have an award for you:
http://craftsandartforchildren.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunshine-award.html

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We don't do glitter either - even dried glitter projects that Anna brings from school shed mercilessly. I really like how your snowflakes turned out. I hope that the kids feel better soon.

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog and I've featured you on mine here:

http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/2011/01/winter-crafts-for-toddlers-and.html

Feel free to stop over, say hello and grab a featured button. Thanks for sharing such awesome ideas! Have a great day.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10