Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, November 5, 2009

stARt: Freight Train

This is a repost from our family blog. I just loved this project and so did M. We did this when she was about 2 1/2. It's a great way for children to identify and say colors. It was a great speech activity at the time, though now it would not be challenging to M. We made a paper freight train based on the wonderful book by Donald Crews. We used the book to help us know which car/color would come next. I had the cars precut into the appropriate shape. I also had the track drawn on the paper ahead of time. M really enjoyed telling me which color would come next with almost no prompting. We know the book well. She chose to use crayons for the smoke. She was so precise with where it went. This was our second train, so I didn't tell her where to put it. She knew. The wheels are made with her little fingerprints. Yes, the yellow hopper car is upside down. This is quite large. I thought two inch wide cars would be a good size. It wasn't until after I had cut them out and was placing them on the paper that I realized that there was no room for the black tender even with the two papers side by side! An inch would have been large enough!
For another similar, yet different Freight Train project, visit my friend Jennifer at My Two Happy Homeschoolers! Check out the Gundersen's felt Freight Train, too. For more story based art projects, visit A Mommy's Adventure.

13 comments:

Stacy said...

This turned out great! My daughter also loves this book!

silly eagle books said...

We just bought this book and we love it--I am definitely going to do this project with my daughter!

Michelle said...

This is a great project, we have enjoyed this book before and I think that Emily would love to do this project with it the next time we read it! Thanks for linking up :0)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very nice project - the fingerprint wheels were a very nice touch.

Miller Moments said...

What a cute project! We may have to copy you too. :)

Ticia said...

Even without the tender it's a cute project.

Ticia said...

Even without the tender it's a cute project.

Jenny said...

That is a cute project.

sbswtp said...

Great Project!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We loved this book here too, and I remember your post about it and my thoughts about what a great project it is. M did a great job!

Cindy said...

This is so darn stinkin' cute!

Jeanette said...

What a great idea! We have not read this book in a long time but my daughter is starting to learn her colors so we should probably check it out again. I love the project. We might have to do that as well.

Anonymous said...

Plan on doing this on Thurs with my preschoolers-great idea with finger prints
I saw another idea to put it on contact paper-we may do that instead of gluing.

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10