Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, August 1, 2011

Kids in the Kitchen: Homemade Microwave Popcorn

We learned several months ago that our microwave no longer likes microwave popcorn (no matter the brand).  We don't have an air popper, and I was discouraged from attempting to make it on the stove top.  With all that said (and no plans of purchasing a new microwave), I was thrilled when Confessions of a Homeschooler posted directions for making popcorn (and not in a brown paper bag, either, which we don't buy, though I've heard good things about it).

To make popcorn, you'll need a glass bowl with a lid.  (I used a loose fitting lid.).

Mix 3 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup popcorn kernels (according to the original instructions.  However, due to unpopped kernels, I intend to do a half batch next time.)

Cover.  Don't use plastic wrap.  Seriously.
Microwave on high power for 2 1/2-3 minutes.  Stop when pops are about 5 seconds apart.  
Flavor and enjoy!
 Below is what happens if you mix plastic wrap, oil, and heat.  NOT EDIBLE!
Check out our other non-stovetop Kids in the Kitchen fun, too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to remember the plastic tip! It looks very holey.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Interesting! We might have to try that one.

Carrie said...

I had no idea that you could do that!!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10