Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Read Aloud: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Mrs. Piggle-WiggleThe chapter book Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle was a recent gift to add to our collection.  My daughter, age 4 1/2, saw it, and immediately was curious about it and wanted to read it.  The name alone is enticing for a child, let alone the cute cover illustration (though mine is a different edition).  Both of my kids were loving it from the beginning!

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle lives in an upside down house and is rather lonely, despite her pets.  Then one day she makes a friend- a little girl.  Soon the girl has told others about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and children from all over town come to see her.  She bakes with them and the boys dig holes in her yard looking for buried treasure.

As dear as all of that sounds, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is really quite the clever woman, and soon earns a reputation for knowing children very well.  Moms call her for advice for their children.  She comes up with all sorts of cures.  There is the "Slow Biter Tiny Bite Taker Cure" and possibly what is needed in our home the most is the "Fighter Quarrelers Cure," among many others.  The children's problems in the book are fairly extreme, though really, most families can relate in some way or another.  The cures are just as extreme...and I suspect most moms wish problems could be cured so easily-and creatively.

My daughter really enjoyed this...probably as much as a 4 1/2 year old can.  My son would also ask for the book, though we didn't always read it aloud with him.  In addition to the chapter intro illustration, there is one full-page illustration in each of the chapters.  This is a book that I am thankful for and expect that we will enjoy it again in a few years when the kids can better appreciate the plentiful humor.  My book jacket cover says it is for ages 6-10, and I would agree, though Amazon says ages 9-12 for the reading level.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (and others in the series) will be on our gifts-to-give-to-others list as my children's cousins and friends get older!  This is a book that has been around for years...and will certainly be loved for a long time!

We're always on the lookout for more chapter book ideas for a 4 year old.  Please let me know of any suggestions!

I'm linking up with Read Aloud Thursday!

7 comments:

Miller Moments said...

We LOVE the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. She actually grew up not far from us and they have her farm as a bed & breakfast.

Carrie said...

Well, I'm glad you liked it! I can't wait to get to this one with my Bookworms. I think the title and the name given to her was brilliant. What child alive wouldn't ask to hear more about a Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle?!!? Definitely fun!

Almost Unschoolers said...

Mrs. Piggle is one of my own childhood favorites!
Almost Unschooler

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, how I wish I could call Mrs. Piggle Wiggle on some days!

So glad you enjoyed it and linked up to RAT!

Anonymous said...

We have loved Mrs Piggle Wiggle for years! Another fun guy is Mr. McBroom by Fleischman! There are several books on his adventures as well.
Melanie
www.melanieski.blogspot.com

Beth said...

We loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! I need to look for the others in the series.

Vanessa @pre-kpages said...

I have many fond memories of reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (and the entire series) from my childhood. Great choice!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10