Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, February 14, 2011

No-Bake Cookie Recipe (Chocolate or Peanut Butter)

Need a quick and tasty sweet?  Try No-Bake Cookies!  Cooked in one pot on the stove top, they really are quite simple to make.   Filled with oats and peanut butter (and a bit of sugar and chocolate) they aren't completely unhealthy!  With a simple adjustment to the recipe, you can make chocolate or peanut butter cookies!  

We had a friend who would request these cookies every time we came to visit as my contribution to dinner.  So easy!! 
Mom's No-Bake Cookies

Prepare wax paper for cookies.

2 c sugar
½ c milk
½ c cocoa
½ c butter
Put sugar, milk, cocoa, and butter in pan.  Stir frequently at medium-high heat bring to a rolling boil for 60 seconds.  (A rolling boil cannot be stirred down.)  Then remove from heat.

½ c peanut butter
 Stir in peanut butter.  (Peanut butter can be smooth or crunchy.)

1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
2 ½ c+ oats 
Then add vanilla, salt, and oats.  Stir until completely blended.  (Quick or old-fashioned oats are fine, though you will get different textures.)

Drop on wax paper by teaspoon or tablespoon, depending on the size of the cookie you want!  Cookies will set up as they cool.

To make peanut butter no-bakes, omit the cocoa and add an additional 1/4 cup of peanut butter.
Some notes: When I measure the oats, I like to have each measuring cup of oats slightly rounded to give my cookie mixture a thick enough texture.
If your No-Bake Cookies do not set up, then you likely didn't cook them at a rolling boil for the complete 60 seconds.  (I personally don't mind them a bit gooey, but they don't transport as well if gooey.)
If your cookies are really hard, you likely cooked for too long.
This is what my cooking space often looks like.  I have my recipes typed on color-coded papers and laminated.  I have used this method for about a year and still love it.  If interested, you can read more about how I organize my recipes by clicking the link.

♥Happy Valentine's Day to all of my blogging friends!♥
♥ 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.       ♥ 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

6 comments:

Dorie said...

Interesting, I have never heard of no bake cookies. Will definitely have to try these, thanks!
And, a Happy Valentine's Day to you :)

Christy Killoran said...

I'll have to try those cookies!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Carrie said...

These are some of my favorite cookies EVER! I ADORE them! (I can't make them too frequently though or else . . .)

Happy Valentine's Day back at you!

Ticia said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum. I've been looking for this recipe. A friend brought some over to us when Princess had surgery last year.

Mindy Swenson Kinnier said...

Thanks a lot...now I am craving these! Aunt Karen used to make these for us every week when we were growing up. We ate them when they were still gooey and she called in out porridge. We can still convince her to make them for us every now and then. They are the best!

Carrie said...

When I was 13 I was a sleepover and we couldn't find the recipe anywhere. Since it was so late at night (ahem--1am) we decided to just wing it. EIGHT cups of sugar later, they didn't quite turn out. HAHA!

I love these--but my husband doesn't so they never get made. Bummer;(

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10