Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Remember the Heroes - September 11. These figures sit above my kitchen sink. They serve as daily reminder to pray for the police, first responders, and military men and women wh...

Monday, March 14, 2011

Painted Snowman

On one of our snow days I thought we would just have fun painting to refresh us.  (Granted, snow days are pretty much behind us, but I still thought I'd share.)

M began painting the snowman with near-perfect circles of white paint on the blue construction paper.  I loved it!  It wasn't long until she started painting the entire scene, covering the entire paper with snowy white paint.  

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed.  There was no longer any distinction between the snowman and the rest of the paper-not even the circular brush strokes.  

To help M make a snowman in her snow scene, I tinted some of the white paint with purple.  She made a lavender snowman.  I wanted to make it sparkle, so I added salt to the picture's snowman.  Then M used a permanent marker to add the hat, face, buttons, and arms.  

She certainly had fun with this, and liked the added salt sparkle.  If I were to do it again, I would have her add the details before the salt.  Even Sharpies didn't want to write well on the salt.

(Glitter is just about forbidden in our home, and I don't mind avoiding it all together.)

Realizing that M just needed to explore in her own way was good for me.  Coming up with a solution to enable her to create the snowman that she did actually want to make was good for both of us, too.  She was extra excited to make a purple snowman!  Flexibility...not my strong suit, but good to be.

E painted snow, too.

I shared about the snow scene made with paper reinforcement stickers last week.

2 comments:

Bluerose said...

I love reading your glitter alternatives. :) I hate glitter, too. We've used it a few times with crafts and scrapbooking and I think I've pretty much banned it from my house, too.
Cute crafts, though!!

Everyday Mom Ideas said...

I wanted to let you know that you won the PJ stamp giveaway at my blog. I need you to email me your mailing information so I can send your information in. Congratulations!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Remember the Heroes - September 11. These figures sit above my kitchen sink. They serve as daily reminder to pray for the police, first responders, and military men and women wh...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10