Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Counting Down to Christmas Part 2: A Book a Day

Last year I realized we had a lot of Christmas books.  In order to really appreciate our own books, I decided to really highlight our own books for the month of December.

I gathered up all of our Christmas and winter books and put them inside of a regular box.  Counting them, I was shocked to learn we already had nearly twenty Christmas books!  By the end of the month with a couple of new/used purchases and review books, we had more than 25 Christmas and winter books!  (This year, I think we can focus on just Christmas books since we've added even more to our Christmas collection!)

Each day I would take one book from the big box of books and place it in a decorative box.  It would "magically" appear in our living room every day.  My children took turns each day opening the box.  I would try to have my son, then 2, open simpler books, and my older daughter open books that were lengthier.  The children LOVED this activity and looked forward to it daily!

Sharing a Christmas book a day is simple.  Just gather your books and provide a way for your child to read a book each day.  I used the decorative box with a lid for the children to open, but you could wrap each book, too!  For our family, we also kept all of the already-opened books in one basket, pictured above.  These books were accessible throughout the month for our regular read-aloud times.  Almost every time a Christmas book would be chosen for read alouds instead of one of our "regular" books!  Many of our books had many re-reads!

If you are interested in reading a Christmas book each day in December but have a limited collection of your own, you might run out to your thrift stores now or go to your local library.  It's about this time of year that libraries gather Christmas titles in one place!  Some libraries (or at least mine) actually shelf all the Christmas picture books together all year.  (So much for the Dewey Decimal system!)  However, it is always worth it to have quality Christmas books, too.  Last year I selected our favorite Christmas books and highlighted them.    You can click for yourself to read the selections that we love, but you will notice variety.  Though I love using books to share about my faith with my children, some of my favorite Christmas books are not focused on Jesus.  We use our homemade Jesse Tree and our incredible advent calendar books to keep our eyes on Jesus' birth.

Thank you once again goes to Amy and Carrie for such a great idea!

What is your favorite Christmas book?  Any great chapter books out there?  


Be sure to check out part 1 of our countdown to Christmas!  Our Jesse Tree!

6 comments:

Ticia said...

"The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever," is one of my favorites!

I want to be more intentional with my Christmas activities, I have lots of great books, but need to figure out activities to go with it.

Carrie said...

As you might imagine, this is my FAVORITE aspect of counting down the days to Christmas!

Shonda said...

I just brought in my collection of books from the garage so I will sort out my Christmas books so I can read one a day. I have a cute one by Max Lucado about a little lamb called The Crippled Lamb that I love.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've done this with Christmas movies, but never with books - what a great idea! I can't think of a favorite off hand, but you can bet I'll be spending the next week deep in the library catalogue for some ideas!

Bluerose said...

I've been searching Goodwill stores, so we can this. Now I can't decide if I want to do the box idea or wrap each book.

Kylie said...

Wanted to let you know that I featured this post. Thank you for linking up to Christmas Fun - http://ourworldwideclassroom.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-fun-round-up-so-much.html

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10