Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Providing Meals for a Others

With the recent arrival of Baby E, we have been extremely blessed to have been given several premade meals!

One of my friends brought a premade (but not precooked) meal to us in early October when I was still pregnant.  When I went to make it, I was impressed with how she wrote the baking instructions for us.  Instead of including a little piece of paper, she wrote directly on the plastic wrap!  I thought it was brilliant!
The basic meal was in a 9x13 Pyrex dish.  The dish was wrapped with plastic wrap where the directions were written.  On top of the plastic wrap she had placed peppers and croutons in baggies (separately).  Then the entire dish and baggies were wrapped with aluminum foil.  All nice and neat, you know?

(With a baby who needs to be held all day long, making meals seems a near impossible task right now.  May I say how incredibly thankful I am for these meals!?  The bonus is that one meal usually lasts us for two or three dinners!  So thankful!  I look forward to passing on the blessing of meals for those in need.  We've been helped with all three births of our children and two of their long hospitalizations...and truly grateful and remember it when I know of others in need.  May I also say that I was very thankful after the kids' hospitalizations for the meals.  I had actually said "no thank you" at first...because I was healthy and didn't want to put others out when I was capable.  But I had also been in the hospital with each child...and much had been neglected, including ourselves, and the meals really helped us, as a family, to return to the new norm.)

Writing directly on the plastic wrap or tin foil would also work on your own freezer meals!


What works for you when preparing a meal for a friend?  Have you been on the receiving end?

5 comments:

Bluerose said...

Writing the directions on the plastic wrap really is an awesome idea!! (Another pin on Pinterest)! ;)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Meals like that can really be a blessing. I love the idea of writing the directions on the plastic wrap - anything that keeps things simple, when there's a new baby in the house is good!

Ticia said...

That is a great idea!

I like to put it in disposable containers that I don't care if I get it back. Then if they forget it's not a big deal.

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

That's so funny I found your blog today when I had just finished taking a Sunday School family a meal =-) I am your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-)
Beth

Christy Killoran said...

We loved the meals people brought us; it is such a huge help. K had to be held all the time for the first month; she is better now, but I still hold her most of the day. My house is a disaster!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10