Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Get Wisdom!


Get Wisdom!
Get Wisdom!: 23 Lessons for Children about Living for Jesus is written by Ruth Younts for children from kindergarten to fourth grade.  It is a really good resource for children and their parents (or teachers in a Christian school) to teach basic principles of biblical wisdom and godly character.  

Each lesson is just two pages long for children and focuses on a different bit of wisdom that we would want our children to do.  It begins with listening and obeying, but includes character traits like humility and courage, as well.  A simple (but meaningful) definition is given along with a Bible verse and colored illustration on one page.  The other page gives a couple examples of the character trait and leaves plenty of space for the child to write additional examples, workbook-style.  It ends with a prayer and a personal application.  BUT that's not all!  In the back of the book, there are parent/teacher pages!  Each lesson has an opening activity, discussion suggestions, and role play game suggestions.  In addition to the Bible verse included in the child's pages, another verse (not just reference) is included, too.  Sounds easy, huh?  

Now, I have to admit that I only completed the first lesson with my daughter (nearly five).  I quickly decided that I wanted to hold off another year before using this book with her to reap the full benefits of Get Wisdom.  (Keep in mind though she is nearly five, she is still in preschool.)  However, I think it is a very good resource for parents.  Want to see more?  You can see the introduction and two complete lessons here.  Go! Look for yourself!  Then buy it!

I really appreciate Shepherd Press sending me a copy of Get Wisdom!  I'm not the only one who likes this book...at Bible study last week a woman gave a copy to a mom who greatly appreciated it.  (And just an FYI, Shepherd Press are publishers of great books like Shepherding a Child's Heart and "Don't Make Me Count to Three!"-linked to my review- are parenting books filled with great wisdom.) 

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I agree this resource is best for age 6 and up. Glad to hear your perspective on this one!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10