Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

Now blogging at THIS SIMPLE HOME.

At This Simple Home

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Freight Train Craft

Both of my children love the book Freight Train, by Donald Crews.  With its simple language and bold pictures, it's a keeper.

Freight Train Big Book (Mulberry Big Book)  Now that my daughter, age 4, can draw some basic shapes, I thought it would be great for her to draw her own freight train, based on the book, and have her color it.  Since my son likes to color, I thought I could draw the train, and have him color it.

We began by reading the book, one page at a time, and drawing the car that was there.  I modeled it for M.  First we drew the train track.  Then we drew a red rectangle at the back and colored it.  We continued until her freight train was complete.  Her coloring skills hide her nice shapes, but she was very proud.  If you look closely, you can see the wheels and how the cars are connected.

As it turns out, E was not interested in coloring the train.  He just colored for fun while we worked.  I think last year's Freight Train craft would be much more his style.  Just a simple paper craft!  (Click to see it!)

We are linking up to a couple of great sources!  Check them out!
abc button

Shibley Smiles

5 comments:

RedTedArt said...

You may not be able to see the nice shapes - but I love how vibrant the colours look!! It looks lovely to me!!!

Thank you for linking up :-)

Maggy

Carrie said...

That looks appealing. In a bit. =)

Jackie Higgins said...

Love the book Freight Train and I had forgotten what a great color book it is! We're doing rainbows this week so I'll have to add that one in! Stopping by from Kids Get Crafty.
Jackie
www.readysetread2me.blogspot.com

Shonda said...

I love this! My son loves that book very much. When he's a little older I'll do this craft.

Jenny said...

Good job, M!

This Simple Home (The New Blog)

  • Homemade Magic Shell - I remember having Magic Shell once as a child. The chocolate syrup drizzled over my ice cream magically turned crispy hard. Mmm... So I was rather excited t...

Follow This Simple Home

Best Blogger Tips

sitemeter 2.16.10